COLLOCATION BOARD GAME

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

MaureenQC

COLLOCATION BOARD GAME

Post by MaureenQC » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:58 pm

I've found an excellent game on the 'Net to practice collocations. There are verb cards and a board with nouns. Ss have to find a matching verb card in their hand to the noun on their spot on the board.

I would be using this with 2 or more groups of ± 4 Ss, each with their own board and cards.

I won't be able to oversee every move of the game with this number of groups. So how do I ensure that they make the correct match? I was thinking of a master list for them to check but then they would see all the answers from the start. Also, I can't print the answers on the back of the verb cards because they would be in their hands or on the table and the answers would be visible to everyone.

Any ideas on how to handle this. I would very much like to use this game with them.

Thanks.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:23 pm

You could write the answers and on the board and then cover them up. I used to write the answers in white wax from a candle so the students couldn't see them on a piece of white paper. Then you take a strong paint or ink and paint over the answers one by one and it seems like magic to younger students. The groups then check their answers and total up their scores if you want competition or try to get better than last time or save the points for some reward at some time.