English exams for deaf students

<b>Forum for teachers working with deaf students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Barbara

English exams for deaf students

Post by Barbara » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:56 pm

I am looking for any kind of English language tests which were prepared for deaf students and used succesfully to assess their language abilities. The target group is 17-20 years old, they have been learning English as a foreign language for about six years but they were taught by different teachers, using different curricula (and many of them didn't use any but their intuition).
And now I am responsible for organising an external exam for them.
If someone could help me, I would be more than grateful. :)

EH

A few thoughts

Post by EH » Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:56 am

I don't have any perfect tests for you, but perhaps I can help you target your search a little.

First of all, what is your goal in testing these students? Do you want to find out where their strengths and weaknesses lie? If so, then probably the best thing to do would be to get a speech/language sample and a writing sample, then analyse the samples. Also, give them a few passages to read/listen to with comprehension questions following. If their English is primarily written, as is common for Deaf ESL learners, then just cut out the speech sample and the listening comprehension.

On the other hand, maybe figuring out where their strengths and weaknesses lie is not what you need at this moment. Maybe you just want to prove that they need intensive instruction. In that case, consider using a standardized test. Keep in mind that there are very few standardized tests that are normed on a hearing impaired population, and if not normed on the population you are testing, they are invalid...

Feel free to email me if you want to talk about ways to analyse the speech/language samples, etc.

[email protected]