online multimedia english teaching and learning

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Do you find it useful?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

tmp1

online multimedia english teaching and learning

Post by tmp1 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:35 am

Does anyone know about this site:
www.cafelingoes.com
You can create English problem sets/homework online. You can either print out the assignments to distribute them to students, or you can have your students do the homework online. It does the automatic grading for you. You can keep organize the assignments, and keep track of students' progress, etc.

It seems to have a small data bank we can use...

Oh, by the way, it is free.

Andrew Patterson

Post by Andrew Patterson » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:57 am

I'm afraid I can't answer the question because I would have to register to tell you.

If you want to do accurate market research, I suggest you let people view your site without registering.

That is assuming of course that you are actually trying to do market research and not mearly are using market research as a ploy to get people to sign up to your site (sugging.)

tmp1

Post by tmp1 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:12 pm

I don't think you need to sign up to start using it....

Andrew Patterson

Post by Andrew Patterson » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:37 pm

Sorry,

I didn't mean to offend, or rather I did, but only saw the big login section and wrongly assumed that you had to register; that wouldn't have been a problem without the survey.

When I got into the site it seemed very slick and potentially very good indeed. I think the front page needs to be altered slightly, why not have the site map on the front page. I didn't agree with all the answers of some exercises that I did, and you've got to get that absolutely right, particularly as you are using reinforcing techniques by repeating the same question.

A little tweaking and this could be one of the best EFL sites out there, but
some tweaking does still need to be done.

I think you're nearly there.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:57 pm

After Andrew's post, I went and took a second look. I don't know how much is in place and whether or not you have "placeholders". The intro page doesn't really explain what's in the site. Maybe I still don't understand ;). It looks from the main page that it is a site for teachers to make quizzes for students. If I click at the bottom of the page on FAQ, I found a forum, although I'm not sure what you want to discuss in the Forum. I clicked on exercises at the bottom. It was a bit confusing because clicking on that did nothing, although the rollover gave another menu. After I chose an area, I tried clicking "Random" but nothing happened. I didn't register. Maybe I didn't see where the Demo was. It looks like a nice set up in each category. I had a little trouble figuring out what the site was and how to go where, however.

tmp1

Post by tmp1 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:01 am

Andrew,
Thanks for the review. As far as the correctness goes, trust us that we hire the best people in USA to review all questions. They are PhDs and masters from the top schools, e.g. Ivy League.

It is hard to have everyone agree on the same answers still :wink:

We don't use a reinforcing technique. Rather, we build in some AI to give you the "right" questions, adjusted to your level. We got a PhD in Artificial Intelligence to develop these algorithms. It maybe still naive at the moment but we are improving it. This, however, requires you to create a personal profile. After all, we need to know what problems you have attempted to compute your English proficiency.

Lorkeet's comment worries me. I don't know why nothing happened when you clicked random.... Currently, we support only IE on Windows platforms.

The intro has more stuff than it is currently released. Right now, we are focusing on the problem set tools. It does more than just for teachers to create quizzes for students. It has an entire suite of tools for teachers to organize things and analyze students' progress.

As for the forum, it is mainly for people (like you :D ) to write down complaints so we can improve it.

anyway, we heartily appreciate your good will comments.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:15 am

tmp1 wrote:
Lorkeet's comment worries me. I don't know why nothing happened when you clicked random.... Currently, we support only IE on Windows platforms.
Surely that explains it. Let me know when you support IE on Mac. You might want to explain that it doesn't work in other browsers or other operating systems.

sita

Post by sita » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:08 am

Hi!

How is this site supposed to work :?: :?:

Siân :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

tmp1

Post by tmp1 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:24 pm

click on -> and you can work on a problem set;
click on "create a problem set" and you can create a problem set.

why is it so difficult?

Please suggest how it can be improved. You are not the only one who is confused :D

GreenT

Post by GreenT » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:22 am

Ok, either I need to stop trying to teach english before I even start, or the grammer is horrible on the site.
For months the great pleasure excursion to Europe and the Holy Land was chatted about in the newspapers everywhere in America and discussed at countless firesides. It was a novelty in the way of excursions - its like had not been thought of before, and it compelled that interest which attractive novelties always command.
OW! That's painful.
"It's like not had been" ??
Chatted about in newspapers?

As written by me it would be more along the lines of:
The pleasure excursion to Europe and the Holy Land was discussed for months in newspapers, and firesides all across America. It's novelty compelled an interest that all great excursions share.

And that's not even perfect, (heck I just started a sentence with 'and', and that's a no-no) but at leat in my opinion more readable, and understandable. I honestly felt like I was reading Engrish.

Sorry if my comments come across as harsh, but it's just glaring at me.

Also the 'problems' themselves dont always lend themselves to easy understanding of what you want in them. If you read the directions time continues to elapse. Thus penalizing for not understanding.

As for the first page the '>'s are really too small and unnoticeable for effective links. Try making a little 'go' button or something.

Just did another problem here is the original sentence.
One of the most studied real-time scheduling algorithm is call rate monotonic algorithm
Corrected it's
One of the most studied real-time scheduling algorithm callethe monotonic algorithm
Spelling errors retained.

As a webmaster myself I know I actually prefer people to be harsh on them. Why? Because, it means they are being honest.

tmp1

Post by tmp1 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:35 am

First of all, we would like to thank you for your comments.
For months the great pleasure excursion to Europe and the Holy Land was chatted about in the newspapers everywhere in America and discussed at countless firesides. It was a novelty in the way of excursions - its like had not been thought of before, and it compelled that interest which attractive novelties always command.
OW! That's painful.
"It's like not had been" ??
Chatted about in newspapers?
Cafelingoes trains a lot of English abilities. It is NOT an ESL site though it provides tools for ESL teachers to teach English online.

This particular passage you are referring to was written by Mark Twain.
Also the 'problems' themselves dont always lend themselves to easy understanding of what you want in them. If you read the directions time continues to elapse. Thus penalizing for not understanding.

This is actually the intention. Why? Ok, maybe you miss a few questions the first time you do it. But what is the big deal? After you learn it, you will know what do to in the other problem sets. However, if we pause the clock when the user reads the direction. It is a way for students to cheat on exams. They can pause the clock and think. Essentailly, this is a big loop hole for people to get around the time limit.

As for the first page the '>'s are really too small and unnoticeable for effective links. Try making a little 'go' button or something.

Thanks for the advice, but we run out of budget for this one =)
We will keep this in mind though.

One of the most studied real-time scheduling algorithm is call rate monotonic algorithm
Corrected it's
One of the most studied real-time scheduling algorithm callethe monotonic algorithm
Spelling errors retained.

It is *supposed* to contain errors. The whole point of this exercise is to have students identify the errors!

As a webmaster myself I know I actually prefer people to be harsh on them. Why? Because, it means they are being honest.
Again, we thank you for your comments. We will keep improving it.

Thanks.
Last edited by tmp1 on Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmp1

Post by tmp1 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:43 am

Ok, either I need to stop trying to teach english before I even start, or the grammer is horrible on the site.

I would like to emphasise that CafeLingoes trains a lot of language abilities. It covers materials for both native and non-native speakers. For native speakers, we focus more on scholastic writings. This sentence is relatively simple compared to those found in Aristotle and Plato. For native speakers, our aim is not that they can speak English, but rather, we hope that they can understand if not generate scholarly writings.

Our experience is that many college students of course have no trouble reading CNN articles, have trouble understanding documents in history, philosophy, literature and the like...

GreenT

Post by GreenT » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:31 pm

OK, so I found the Mark Twain reference. Innocents Abroad

Now from the previous posts on the site, and from your comments I was under the impression that this site was intended for ESL use. If that were(was) the case, then using antiquated English, such as the line "It's like not had been" would be detrimental. It's not the type of English that is most commonly taught ie: Conversation English.

Mark Twains work, while being great and world renowned do not nessacarily(sp) follow the proper rules of English. In fact right after that line has to be one of the biggest sentences I can remember encountering. That is, until I encountered the line after that! :)