How do I integrate multicultural issues in the classroom?

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Debra

How do I integrate multicultural issues in the classroom?

Post by Debra » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:07 pm

How am I effectively able to integrate multicultural issues into the classroom? What are some common teacher errors that occur in relation to integration strategies and the resources that they choose to use.
Thank you

serendipity

Post by serendipity » Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:30 pm

How am I effectively able to integrate multicultural issues into the classroom?
It depends on your class, really. I'm not sure what you actually mean by "multicultural issues" here, in my classes, these issues tend to surface naturally, since the students come from a variety of different ethnic backgrounds and they speak different languages at home. They feel an innate need to share, especially when they've just returned from religious holidays or festivities particular to their culture.

Yes, and when the talk turns to cultural features particular to the US, or to Britain, they share the outlook that their culture of origin takes, and compare attitudes.
What are some common teacher errors that occur in relation to integration strategies and the resources that they choose to use.
Not taking advantage of the right moment - putting off a discussion until she/he has collected background information that turns him/her into somewhat of an expert.

Being holier-than-thou in an attempt to promote politically correct stances - they usually see through that.

Machjo

You can introduce student networks over the internet!

Post by Machjo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:54 am

One excellent site for this is:

http://www.interkulturo.net/

Unfortunately the site itself is only available in Esperanto, but the correspondence can be in whatever language you want. It also includes its own dictionary which allows students to search for words in all major European languages, with a translation to and from Esperanto, which could therefore make it a useful tool for students studying other languages too. If you know a few european languages already, then you might be able to understand the gist of the site without knowing Esperanto (and again, you can use the dictionary for the words you don't know), and it includes all kinds of projects on line to Engourage students to exchange ideas on various cultural themes.

It currently boasts an online membership from 9-year olds to adults, including already registered groups from Mexico, Russia, Venezuela, Brazil, Lithuania, Sweden, Hungary, Togo, Ukraine, Bulgaria and Hungary. Although any age group is allowed to participate, it seems to me to be most appropriate for 10-15yr olds, though very useful for 8-9yr olds as well. Adults could enjoy it too, though.

I hope this helps.