Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newton International School Doha

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj121

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Newton International School Doha Reply with quote

Hi

I have been offered a job at Newton International School Doha. They have numerous campuses and schools in Doha, apparently I will be at the new campus that is being built.

Can anyone give me any info about Newton Schools in Doha and about teaching in general over there?

Cheers.
vabeckele

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still going?

Have you gotten the pre-booked ticket yet?
vabeckele

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word 'international' is a misnomer and I think the only teachers able to handle the complete lack of organisational skills and workload are the young, just qualified teachers. Some timetables have teachers working 35 contact sessions (illegal in Qatar) - The school has started and still no books.
All in all, with an hour's bus ride each way the hours are pretty heavy, somewhere in the 50 hour mark. The principle should be wearing a cowboy hat and is the only one 'managing' 50 teachers. Yes, just one guy and a couple of 'coordinators (reads sad housewives).' When a principle's decisions are being overturned by a local HR young girl, well, he/she is nothing more than a puppet.

I have been lied to, never had a contract and my visa status is still a mystery to me.

Nice apartments though. Just a shame the school and the apartment are at the opposite ends of the city.
teacher4life

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there interest with the principle?
vabeckele

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacher4life wrote:

No, not really. If I has a bigger heart I would sympathise, but as I've been in the same position in Vietnam...

I think it just a matter of not being able to maintain and enforce Western standards to a school that clearly isn't ready for them. The guy, literally took over the position, the day after I arrived after T.... the former head got sent over to Lagoon.

I wouldn't be able to do the work personally - just a glorified (and well paid) babysitter.
vabeckele

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacher4life wrote:

No, that came in the form of a 22 year old Moroccan, an age gap of nearly 30 years I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: