Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current teacher looking to make the move to Mexico (City?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turmerican

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Current teacher looking to make the move to Mexico (City?) Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'm a kindergarten teacher (5 years experience) working in an elementary school with a high ESL population (Hispanic student population over 85%). I have a BA in English with a K-6 certification to teach in my state. I've worked with every grade up through middle school, and I have 2 years of college Spanish courses, plus a recent intermediate booster course.

I visited the Yucatan Peninsula over the summer and enjoyed everything about it. So now I am highly interested in Mexico City, as it seems like a neat and thriving place.

All of my experience is with children, though I am very interested in working with adults, as well. In fact, I think it would be a fun new change.

I know that CELTA is the gold-standard, more or less, but I'm wondering if that is what I need, of if my current experience changes things. Right now I am looking for information on what kind of options there are, what kind of schools to look into, best certification options, etc. Really I am looking for any and all helping information and advice.

Thanks so much for reading.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Current teacher looking to make the move to Mexico (City Reply with quote

[
I visited the Yucatan Peninsula over the summer and enjoyed everything about it. So now I am highly interested in Mexico City, as it seems like a neat and thriving place.

In my experience those two places are so different, the might as well be separate countries, and in fact were in the past.

All of my experience is with children, though I am very interested in working with adults, as well. In fact, I think it would be a fun new change.

I know that CELTA is the gold-standard, more or less, but I'm wondering if that is what I need, of if my current experience changes things. Right now I am looking for information on what kind of options there are, what kind of schools to look into, best certification options, etc. Really I am looking for any and all helping information and advice.

It really depends on decking what kind of job you want. If you want to teach K to Six in a bilingual or English medium school you are good to go. If you want to teach foreign language to teens, young adults or adults you really do need a different set of knowledge. The CELTA or similar is just like a basic starter kit for the skill set that kind of teaching uses. I wouldn't pretend that my educational background would prepare me to take a job as a kindergarten teacher.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Current teacher looking to make the move to Mexico (City Reply with quote

Turmerican wrote:

As MotherF suggested, your current credentials are likely sufficient if you plan to work with kids. For adults or older teens, however, you'd definitely benefit from the training offered through a CELTA or "CELTA equivalent" course. Personally, I'd recommend SIT's (School for International Training) TESOL Certificate which, amongst other places, is offered in Oaxaca, Mexico.

http://graduate.sit.edu/sit-graduate-institute/sn/degree-and-certificate-programs/language-teacher-training/sit-graduate-institute-tesol-certificate/

SIT's TESOL Certificate program uses an experiential approach (rooted in the theories of the late Brazilian educator Paulo Freire) that is a bit different that the approach taught in CELTA, but would give you a lot of flexibility in working with both teens and adults from a wide-variety of backgrounds.
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Current teacher looking to make the move to Mexico (City Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

In my experience those two places are so different, the might as well be separate countries, and in fact were in the past.

I agree with MotherF that there are few similarities between the Yucatan (were you in Merida or at the beach?) and Mexico City. Mexico City is a great place to live and work if you like the idea of setting up shop in a huge, somewhat insane but always interesting, megalopolis. Perhaps similar to life in New York City, which is where I lived before moving to Mexico City in 2007.
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind it may be near-impossible to support dependents on a an entry level TEFL salary. Your earning potential as a licensed teacher at an international school will be easily triple that of a typical CELTA-qualified teacher. Of course - as you know - K-12 work brings its own stresses (long hours and possibly high pressure). Do a search for international schools on the Mexico and general boards to learn the ins and outs.
Turmerican

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information everyone. Yes, I understand that Mexico City is highly different from the places I visited. However, I have researched it and am still interested. However, other cities seem very attractive to me as well, such as Merida.

My wife is not exactly a dependent, as she flies out to other places and works 3 or 4 months out of the year.

I'm glad to see that I would be able to teach children with my current credentials and experience. I will certainly begin researching international schools to find out all I can!

However, I feel that I am a little burned out on teaching children and I'd like to try to begin teaching adults or teens if possible. I am now wondering what the pros and cons of each would be. I understand that they are very different skill sets--but I am wondering about differences in pay and the number/quality of opportunities out there. Does teaching adults typically pay more? Are there more opportunities for childhood education?
Thanks for reading and to everyone who has posted so far. This site has been such an exhaustively informative resource.
Turmerican

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also mention that I am willing to get any degree or certification including a Master's. We are planning on making the move in the next 2 - 3 years, and I have saved enough money to return to school.
FreddyM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turmerican wrote:
I should also mention that I am willing to get any degree or certification including a Master's. We are planning on making the move in the next 2 - 3 years, and I have saved enough money to return to school.

If you are male and be willing to work in a private Catholic school with children, let me know. There's always a need here, especially for someone that can work with very young children.

Pay is competitive. I'm just a teacher, not a recruiter.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turmerican wrote:

Check into the IB schools around town...you are good to go on the credentials you have. Nice benefit you have a chance at finding is a subsidized master's, such as the ASF offers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Turmerican

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the info. I am researching IB schols and the ASF, neither of which is familiar to me. I may PM you at a later date if that's okay. Do you have any info on salaries?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turmerican wrote:
Hey, thanks for the info. I am researching IB schols and the ASF, neither of which is familiar to me. I may PM you at a later date if that's okay. Do you have any info on salaries?

They range widely, but anywhere from 15000 to 40000 pesos a month gross.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Turmerican wrote:

They range widely, but anywhere from 15000 to 40000 pesos a month gross.

My experience has been that the higher the salary, the higher the stress. Catholic schools, overall, have the best discipline and most involved parents, and often smaller private schools in middle class neighborhoods do as well. Pay won´t be as high at those schools, but you won´t fill like killing someone at the end of the day. On the higher end you will have to deal with complaints from students that will blow your mind - family cutting corners so child A now has to SHARE a chofer with child B instead of having his own, etc. On the other hand you might pick up a private students whose parents are willing to send a car for you in order to have extra help on Saturdays. Somewhere in the middle, in terms of both salary and stress are students whose families aren´t mind blowingly rich, and the money and stress will both be doable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: