Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criminal Background Check 2014

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Criminal Background Check 2014 Reply with quote

I did a search of this forum and it seems that a criminal background check isn't needed or at least not needed usually. The last was a couple of years back though. I'm coming from China where CBCs are trending towards mandatory at least in some areas. What about Mexico? I'm in the US at the moment, so I have time and opportunity to get one if necessary before heading down. Worth it? I'm hoping to work at a university or colegio but may end up at a language training center of some sort. I expect at this point to arrive sans work visa and to make a visa trip back to the US to take care of that. Thanks for any advice.
mtiz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely have never heard of it being needed here in any part of Mexico. Probably not worth it.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immigration doesn't require it (though they have their own internal system they use, say, if you are wanted in Mexico for arrest).

A good number of bilingual and international schools do require you to provide your own clearance check.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
roadwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have the credentials for an international school, so I'll skip it for now anyway. One less hassle.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is reading this now, I was told that an apostilled criminal check was required from your home country. For me, that meant two separate documents (one for misdemeanors, one for felonies, in Texas), then paying for both to be apostilled.

Haven't finished the process yet, but that's what I was told.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised...I assume this is the school asking.

For Mexicans and for foreigners who already have an FM, you can easily get a Carta de Antecedentes No Penales from the PGR. Only takes 20 minutes and it's free.

Of course, it only covers the crimes you didn't commit in Mexico, but it's enough for most schools here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

For Mexicans and for foreigners who already have an FM, you can easily get a Carta de Antecedentes No Penales from the PGR. Only takes 20 minutes and it's free.

Of course, it only covers the crimes you didn't commit in Mexico, but it's enough for most schools here.

They said it was a new immigration requirement.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

Hmm...I keep pretty up-to-date with immigration - at work, we retain a lawyer just for immigration work. I think this is just something the school wants - and rightly so. All schools should be doing this.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
bdbarnett1 wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

Hmm...I keep pretty up-to-date with immigration - at work, we retain a lawyer just for immigration work. I think this is just something the school wants - and rightly so. All schools should be doing this.

This last point gets me thinking. At what level do you think the schools should require one? A federal level check would in most cases be the only effective one.

To go back to the OP's question. He stated that he is coming from China where almost all the jurisdictions are now requiring a national check. In the case of myself, as well as roadwalker, this denotes an FBI check that then needs to be signed off by the State Department and Chinese embassy. For those with Wanderlust, the entire process can take up to four months.

I spent five years in China, and have refused some strong opportunities to go back due to how difficult and expensive they have made the process to obtain a working visa. Moreover, how they are interpreting the cbc results is quite harsh. One teacher has been denied, wherever he applies, due to one public intoxication charge from thirty plus years back.

You could argue that if we can't, or are unwilling to meet the new requirements, there is always another teacher who can and will. Maybe this is true. But it may also not be true too often. In the case of China which already has a severe ESL teacher shortage, the supply of teachers has dropped approximately 30% in one year. And the situation is such that I think anyone with a balanced view of the situation will realize that it is only going to get much worse.

Hence, it is not that I disagree with your last comment per se. Yet I think in a labor market segment which has geographic flexibility, the school and the nation can lose by imposing requirements that will dissuade even those who are qualified.

It's admittedly a tough issue, with pros and cons for requiring a check, and if so at what level, or not.

Last edited by jimpellow on Sat May 23, 2015 7:11 am; edited 2 times in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy, very nice to see you again!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Guy, very nice to see you again!

Good to see you too...I never left though. Just very busy in non-ESL realms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: