Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$2700 USD + flights -healthcare + pregnant wife = livable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanlogic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: What is the best bank for US expats in Turkey? Reply with quote

What is the best bank for US expats in Turkey?

I need to streamline my banking situation stateside and figure out which bank will beat serve me while I am living in Turkey.

I currently USA Bank of America, and a local credit union, but I'd be willing to switch to a different bank if it would make things easier in Turkey.

Any suggestions?
nichtta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about transferring money between US and Turkish banks.

As for a US bank, you should really consider something like Charles Schwab's debit card. They will refund your ATM fees if you incur any, but you shouldn't if you're using an ATM that accepts Master Card/Visa here in Turkey. They also don't charge you any foreign transaction fees either when pulling out money. You can set it up so that you can transfer money to your CS account for free from BoA or your credit union. However, unlike credit unions, they may decide to close your account without notice, as Chase and BoA have been reported to have done to several customers in the past. It's an excellent way to pull out money while keeping it in USD so it doesn't lose value.

You should also consider a US credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, which is good to keep on hand.

As for a local bank, KuveytTürk has no minimum balance requirement, no maintenance fees, and it's really easy to get a bank account with just a passport and tax number, which you can get for free at your local tax office with your passport. Ziraat Bank is the oldest, and I think it has the most branches and ATMs nationwide, but they charge you a maintenance fee every few months if you don't have a minimum balance or have it set up for automatic payments.
ryanlogic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I should focus on trying to find an international friendly bank stateside, and then I can just set up a basic checking account in Turkey and have my deposits go into the U.S. Based bank where I can just send What I need within Turkey every month?

I've travelled outside the country but I've never actually lived abroad, so I need to make sure I have the whole process figured out.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get this sort of info from the organization that hired you since they're familiar with what facilities and resources are available at your job site and the area where you'd be living. I suspect you'd be going through orientation or at least be emailed an information packet regarding your work and living situation. If not, contact them for the email address of a staff member who's in Antakya and can answer those types of questions for you. (If it's an American-based organization, are they able to deposit your pay directly into your US bank account?)

Additionally, find out what your employment status would be in the event you need to be evacuated. Would you be repatriated back to the US and subsequently, be out of a job? Or will they fly you to another location or country where you can continue working for them?
ryanlogic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
You need to get this sort of info from the organization that hired you since they're familiar with what facilities and resources are available at your job site and the area where you'd be living. I suspect you'd be going through orientation or at least be emailed an information packet regarding your work and living situation. If not, contact them for the email address of a staff member who's in Antakya and can answer those types of questions for you. (If it's an American-based organization, are they able to deposit your pay directly into your US bank account?)

Additionally, find out what your employment status would be in the event you need to be evacuated. Would you be repatriated back to the US and subsequently, be out of a job? Or will they fly you to another location or country where you can continue working for them?

There will definitely be an orientation, and I'm sure they will suggest the best way for me to handle it. I'm just trying to figure out how things are normally done prior so I can start arranging some things on my end, I want consolidate some small debts, and narrow everything down to one bank stateside..

Its an American organization and the salary is in USD, I'm assuming they can deposit into an American bank account... I guess I need to email them a list of questions.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryanlogic wrote:
I'm just trying to figure out how things are normally done prior so I can start arranging some things on my end, I want consolidate some small debts, and narrow everything down to one bank stateside.

Contact your credit union regarding incoming, international wire transfers. Wiring money into my US credit union has never been an issue, plus, the fees are low.
ryanlogic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
ryanlogic wrote:
I'm just trying to figure out how things are normally done prior so I can start arranging some things on my end, I want consolidate some small debts, and narrow everything down to one bank stateside.

Contact your credit union regarding incoming, international wire transfers. Wiring money into my US credit union has never been an issue, plus, the fees are low.

I've been advised to set up a Turkish account in USD in Turkey.

After doing a lot of research I've decided to stick with my credit union as well. In the off chance that I need to use my debit card in Turkey the foreign transaction fee is only 1% and that includes currency exchange. As far as wiring money back to the U.S., I will have to do some research when I get to Turkey to decide which local bank will offer the best rate on these kinds of services.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update?
ryanlogic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Update?

We've been here for more than two months now.

It's funny that a lot of the things I was worried about were nothing of concern while other things that I didn't even think of came up and caused major problems.

After receiving a tax number, setting up a bank account in USD was really easy at Ziraat Bank...They gave me an account for USD and an account with Turkish lira. I can exchange back and forth using the website when needed.

Transferring money to and from the US is a pain... better to be done in large chunks due to the fees on both sides.

We found a private hospital with a good English speaking female doctor who answers her phone whenever my wife calls with questions.

Getting an apartment was super challenging because everyone assumes we are Syrian and didn't want to rent to us... Blue passports written in English mean little to paranoid Turkish people. We eventually found a nice family with a nice duplex terrace apartment willing to rent out the top half to us. They own a Kunafa restaurant and the woman brings my wife food everyday. They sit and drink tea while trying to communicate using google translate.

I'm having a hard time learning Turkish because nearly everyone in Antakya speaks or understands Arabic... I studied Arabic in college and I guess language just takes the path of least resistance. I'm working on it.

Things that should take an hour or two take a day or two to get done. That scales multiplies exponentially so things that should take a day take a week and things that should take a week take a year.

Dealing with the government is really annoying... No one wants to help and the ones that do try don't know how to do what you want them to do.... Find a Turk to help you and get read to drink lots of tea trying to find the correct person to speak to.

My job is slow going due to certain things, but overall it is rewarding.

Some fun facts:

I got ripped off by a taxi in Istanbul on a business trip: He drove me around in circles and dropped me off a block away from where I got in the cab... I was so dumb I even tipped him.

There's a quick solution for everything but it's hard to explain to Turks that it isn't necessarily the correct solution. They think I'm crazy, often.

French fries go inside your shawarma and it's called a dürüm.

Müdürlüğü is hard to pronounce and therefore difficult to ask directions to.

Two words: çay zamanı

C's are J's
I's without a dot are Uh's
"Th" is difficult for Turks to hear and pronounce.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryanlogic wrote:
Dealing with the government is really annoying... No one wants to help and the ones that do try don't know how to do what you want them to do.... Find a Turk to help you and get read to drink lots of tea trying to find the correct person to speak to.

My job is slow going due to certain things, but overall it is rewarding.

This is typical of some countries for travelers abroad. You'll learn to figure things out on your own.

What has the nature of your work been so far? How is your wife adjusting and staying busy?
nichtta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Turkey!

Don't worry. Things will get better. You just need lots of patience and different expectations.

If you've never read about the classic stages of culture shock, it might be beneficial to look over them just to remind yourself that you might just be in a particular phase and that there's light at the end of the tunnel:
http://www.deborahswallow.com/2010/05/15/the-classic-5-stage-culture-shock-model/

Culture shocks doesn't always work out as mapped out in the link I posted. I know people, who were stuck in the depression stage for about a year then left without ever having moved on, but I think it was more because of their own doing and inability to adapt to a new culture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: