Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite spots in Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a retirement visa, but I don´t know if that gives you the right to work. You could always work online, if you only need supplemental income. There are tons of small towns that you would probably like, but in a lot of them, maybe most of them, there won´t be much work, or if there is, it won´t be well paid. I was offered a job at a private school in the next town over, making 50 pesos an hour, which they considered a generous offer. I am asked to do tutoring, or give private class and the pay that is usually mentioned is 35 pesos an hour, that is what teachers here charge for tutoring. Granted, it does go a long way here, but still, not going to do it. What might work for you would be to be out the outskirts of a town where it will have more of a rural, small town feel, but you will still be able to go to town for shopping, doctors, etc. I live in a town of about 12,000 and lots of things are limited in terms of shopping. We have a decent community hospital, but for anything major it´s either Torreon, Durango or Fresnillo, all of which are 2 plus hours away. Lots of things to consider. I do love living here, though, and the trade off is worth it and it sounds like it would be for you too.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a retirement visa, but I don´t know if that gives you the right to work.

It specifically bars you from working. However, I am following a case right now in Guadalajara of a young British gentleman who has the rentista visa and is now in the process of switching it over to a typical residente temporal with right to work. I doubt it will go through though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Quote:
There is a retirement visa, but I don´t know if that gives you the right to work.

It specifically bars you from working. However, I am following a case right now in Guadalajara of a young British gentleman who has the rentista visa and is now in the process of switching it over to a typical residente temporal with right to work. I doubt it will go through though.

Good to know. But you could work online, don´t you think, since you aren´t working in Mexico, for a Mexican company.
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:

The use of terminology like this, which was rendered obsolete by the last revision of the immigration law, just adds confusion to these kinds of discussions. There is no "rentista visa" and nothing that is termed a "retirement visa." Further, the use of the word "visa," which is nothing more than permission to enter a country from abroad for limited purposes, is also deceiving, when the discussion is really about temporary residence, or permanent residence.

Temporary residence is what it sounds like, and is issued for one of several from a limited menu of options. In this thread the allusion is to those which include permission to work, and temporary residence based on a showing of financial solvency which does not include permission to work. Permanent residency carries with it the right to pursue any lawful activity, including work, no matter how acquired. The law may be changed someday, but this is how it stands now.

BadBeagleBad is making a valid point: this was understood to be possible before but the revisions of the immigration law of recent years has made this express.

I don't want to argue any of this: those who doubt are invited to go read the law themselves.
Landon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. So do you understand that is possible for someone like my wife and I to gain a residency which allows work, through work qualifications, financial means, etc?
notamiss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person with temporary resident status can work – can get a visa with authorization to work – if they have a job offer from a Mexican employer who is authorized to employ foreigners. If this is your case, financial requirements aren’t relevant for evaluating your application to immigrate to Mexico as a temporary resident.

Or you can work without restrictions if you have permanent residency. There are two paths to permanent residency. One is to meet higher financial requirements (25% higher) when you first immigrate to Mexico. The other is that after 4 years living in Mexico with temporary resident status, you have to* apply for permanent resident status.

There are other different options if you are married to a Mexican; I gather this isn’t your case.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*Or leave Mexico, or cancel your temporary residency and apply again from scratch – I’m just mentioning these other two options for completeness; neither one leads to work permission.

Last edited by notamiss on Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The use of terminology like this, which was rendered obsolete by the last revision of the immigration law, just adds confusion to these kinds of discussions. There is no "rentista visa" and nothing that is termed a "retirement visa."

Very true, my bad.

However, lots of folks continue to use these terms and you will come across them - as well as FM2 and FM3, though they are obsolete.

Quote:
I don't want to argue any of this: those who doubt are invited to go read the law themselves.

Unforunately, as we've seen over and over again, policy, law, and reality are very unevenly distributed. You should probably consult an immigration lawyer from the area of Mexico you want to go to for your best route in.

Last edited by Guy Courchesne on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:14 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

Unforunately, as we've seen over and over again, policy, law, and reality are very unevenly distributed. You should probably consult an immigration lawyer from the area of Mexico you want to go to for our best route in.

Case in point. When I lived in Mexico City I was the teacher coordinator for a business institute and as such I accompanied many teachers to Migration to help them get their documents. I had my own checklist and everyone I ever took was pretty much rubberstamped and on their way. I mentioned that to a friend who lived in Xalapa and she asked for my list, followed it to a T yet was turned down for some never quite specified reason, yet when she came to DF she was approved. This was all some years ago now, so wouldn´t matter anyway, just an example of how each office has thier own rules. I actually think that it also has to do with how much the person likes you or how pleasant you are to them. I knew a teacher who had a pretty bad attitude/was arrogant who was turned down three times even though he did have all the documents they were asking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: