Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions, answer needed pls help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillafool wrote:
as for the wife, she has a lot of experience but it's all with young learners. and a bachelor's with tesl certification. i just assume she's probably not qualified for the position.

Is she a native speaker? If so, this could probably get her hired in Foundations.

VS
stillafool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. yes, she's british.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with your employer and see if they are interested in getting two teachers. Not a great place to work, but with two salaries, you should be able to save enough to make some of the conditions more acceptable.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
Hey MG, I'll do my best to keep up. Thanks for the encouragement.

The poster asked about his wife getting work after she is here, the assumption being that she would not be working at the same place as her husband, yes? If that was the case, why would he not be asking about jobs for them both at the same place? and about the potential for married status, family visa, larger housing allowance and so on. Indeed, try to keep up....

So, as is often the case, you're wrong and misleading again. There wouldn't be any change in benefits for the husband - that point was just left hanging there anyway and on the face of it, is a silly assumption. What would they take away from the husband? less housing? different medical coverage perhaps? makes no sense at all.

No even if she worked for the same employer It would not be on a family visa. At least learn the rules. I know a couple in a similar situation. The woman works illegally because to do otherwise would lose her business class flights twice a .year that the royal flight provide. Please don't mislead and put people in a position that could disadvantage them.
omanoman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that's her choice then isn't it? Take a job with a separate sponsor and the benefits that are offered OR remain on the husband's family visa, work illegally, although without much if any real risk, and keep the family visa benefits. The husband doesn't lose anything, but the wife would, ie the flight from the husbands sponsor. That is my point and I'm not misleading or being a snarky curmudgeon about it.

I'm happy to encourage people in that situation because, as your acquaintance's wife knows, she can happily work for a salary but no sponsored benefits and nearly double the family income. This is common as is the potential for teachers to find other work outside of their day jobs, for 10 - 20 hours a week. Yes, it is illegal but then why can it continue without interference or risk for the last 20 years ? Some people feel that any such risk is too much, many many others carry on earning extra money for years.
David S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: HAWTHORNE 1365 Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
balqis wrote:
Yes, MG, but, as you said, you worked for Hawthorn before MoHE, and Hawthorn never paid 1600! Then why give such unrealistic advice. And perhaps list here jobs in Oman that pay 1600. I myself would like to know.

balqis

MoHE pay 1600 for a Masters + 4 years post-Masters experience. Hawthorn were only paying me 1325 just before I transferred. My advice is not unrealistic, it's factual.

wow....1325.

Now thal Al Nawa have the contract its 865 (plus 60 for travel and 30 for utilities)...955.
Accommodation provided or 200 accommodation allowance so 1155.

That's $3500 down to $3000. Things biting hard, but compared to eastern Europe (or even Europe in general) financially, has some allure.
balqis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawthorn paid 1000 to M.A. holders plus housing or 200 OR added to ur salary, and up to 50 OR cost of utilities. So 1200 plus ur bills were covered by them.
For B.A. holders ir was some 900 or so, maybe 930, the rest was the same, i.e. housing and bills.
Flats they offered were furnished and AC-ed. If you took the allowance instead, there was no special furniture allowance.
After one year, if you were renewed, there was a renewal bonus, some 25 OR or so, I do not remember exactly, but quite immaterial.

To those lecturers who were suddenly not renewed and denied a NOC I would strongly suggest the following: try to involve your HoD and the college HR Director or even your college Dean to stand by you and speak out on your behalf to your agents in order to exert a pressure necessary for your agents to issue your NOC. It is by their recommendation anyway that the NOC is or is not issued.
If your conduct was up to the mark, how can you be denied the NOC??

balqis
David S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Hawthorn Reply with quote

In their more recent adverts, as opposed to previous practice, Hawthorn were advertising 975 for MA candidates and 900 for BA.

It's alarming (not for MA-less people like me) that Al Nawa offers a base of 865 seemingly regardless.

I understand from a private message that NOC letters have now been given (whether to everyone or not, I don't know).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: