Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peace Corps Training Benefit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdurnal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Peace Corps Training Benefit? Reply with quote

I will be moving to Germany soon and hope to get a job teaching English. I have documents certifying my Peace Corps training and experience teaching English as a second language. Will this help any in getting a job? I also hold a M.A. in English. Thanks for your thoughts.
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: it depends Reply with quote

Where (what city/town/region) do you want to teach and what are your expectations for type of teaching environment and salary? Do you speak any German at all? If I knew those things I could probably give you some idea of what your chances are. Being an American will limit your chances some too (because of visa/work rules).

Personally, I wouldn't land in Germany without some advance preparation regarding securing some interested parties and/or a job. The situation here isn't that good where one can simply arrive and expect to find work but that largely depends on where you want to live and work and how low you're willing to go for salary.

I don't know of any instance where Peace Corps work was either of benefit or detriment in teaching English in Germany. Your M.A. and teaching experience will help though, certainly. Making M.A. level salary will be nearly impossible, sad to say.
cdurnal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: RE:Peace Corps Training Benefit? Reply with quote

My partner and I are retiring to a small village just north of Schweinfurt where he was born. I will be looking for teaching just to supplement our income. Thus, I am not expecting M.A. level salary. I know there is at least one language school in Schweinfurt and I may invesigate VHS in the area. I speak basis German and had German in college. We have been to our village before and own a house there and have many relatives there.
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: why did you post? Reply with quote

Since you're firm on where you'll live, you've bought a house there, you know of a school there and can also apply to the VHS in the town where you know you'll live, you're only looking to supplement your retirement income and thus don't really need the money from teaching, I'm mystified as to why you posted your questions at all.
cdurnal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: RE:Peace Corps Benefit Reply with quote

As I said, I need to supplement my income. I was merely asking if my Peace Corps experience is of benefit in getting a TEFL job.
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it'd be best to check with the schools in the town to which you're retiring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: