Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holidays in Brazil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matttheboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Holidays in Brazil Reply with quote

hey guys, i'm living in Buenos Aires and want to take about 10 days holiday at the beach. Anyone have any recommendations? We want to just fly in and get to the resort/beach as soon as we can without having to spend hours on a bus. I don't really know anything at all about Brazil and am just starting off my research (although i've got to be quick as we want to go in about a month's time).

Cheers for your help,

Matt
mikesspamlessemail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Holidays in Brazil Reply with quote

matttheboy wrote:
hey guys, i'm living in Buenos Aires and want to take about 10 days holiday at the beach. Anyone have any recommendations? We want to just fly in and get to the resort/beach as soon as we can without having to spend hours on a bus. I don't really know anything at all about Brazil and am just starting off my research (although i've got to be quick as we want to go in about a month's time).

Cheers for your help,

Matt

Matt, I can't help since I don't know Brazil but I'm just curious- did you have other income or does your job pay enough to take trips like this? I have a friend moving to Buenos Aires tomorrow with his girlfriend- no job prospects lined up but he won't be paying rent (that is if her parents agree he can live with them). I've heard 500 bucks a month (or 400 Euros, obviously) is enough to live pretty comfortably, and I've also heard that teachers make around 5 bucks an hour. Is 100 hours a month hard to line up? It seems like it would be... Rio seems like it would be a fantastic place to live but it seems to be more expensive than BA. Good luck, have a great trip!
nomadamericana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

What month do you plan on going? I would reccomend Florianopolis or Salvador.

Florianopolis is in the South of Brazil... the thrid most turistic city in Brazil. There are buses that leave daily in the summer from BsAs to Floripa. All is really has is beaches and nightlife. Tons of Argies there in the summer and you really do not need to know Portuguese. What else... lot of sea food. You could go sand boarding. If you consider Floripa, just ask some of your Argie friends about it... they have likely been there.

If you want to escape from the Argies and be where more European and some American tourists are... Salvador is your best bet.
Salvador is my favorite city in Brazil... they say that the heart of Brazil is in Rio and the soul is in Salvador. Salvador is a very culturally rich city... it is where used to be the capitol of Brazil and it is where the slaves ships landed from Africa. There are also really nice beaches... and it is said to have the best Carnaval in the country. There is more crime in Salvador than Floripa but I wouldn't let it deter you from visiting. Salvador is the capitol of the state of Bahia and there are little islands off the coast that you could take a day trip to if you wanted. Salvador will get a lot more expensive near the end of Feb... as people flock from all over the world to go to Carnaval.

If you want more info... let me know...
matttheboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Nomada, i actually booked a flight to Salvador last week. As we're going in mid-August Florianopolis is not really a go-er due to the weather. Coming to the end of the 'winter' rains in Salvador at that time though so hopefully should have some decent sunshine to burn my ridiculously pasty pale skin...planning on a few days on Boipeda and a few in the city as well. Any recommendations on things to do in Salvador always appreciated.

Mikes.l.e. No, there's no way i could affored to take a trip like this on teachers' wages even if i worked for years. This holiday is going down as a business trip for a business i'm setting up in Buenos Aires which will make it cheaper as well (as in reclaming expenses against taxable income). As a teacher you make enough to live on but not save here. US$500 a month is a comfortable living but you could only really save $50-100 a month if you weren't paying rent. Getting 100 hours a month is possible but hard and getting more than a few hours during the summer holidays is even harder...
mikesspamlessemail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matttheboy wrote:
Cheers Nomada, i actually booked a flight to Salvador last week. As we're going in mid-August Florianopolis is not really a go-er due to the weather. Coming to the end of the 'winter' rains in Salvador at that time though so hopefully should have some decent sunshine to burn my ridiculously pasty pale skin...planning on a few days on Boipeda and a few in the city as well. Any recommendations on things to do in Salvador always appreciated.

Mikes.l.e. No, there's no way i could affored to take a trip like this on teachers' wages even if i worked for years. This holiday is going down as a business trip for a business i'm setting up in Buenos Aires which will make it cheaper as well (as in reclaming expenses against taxable income). As a teacher you make enough to live on but not save here. US$500 a month is a comfortable living but you could only really save $50-100 a month if you weren't paying rent. Getting 100 hours a month is possible but hard and getting more than a few hours during the summer holidays is even harder...

Hey Matt,

Do you mind sharing what type of business you're setting up? I was under the impression it was very difficult for foreign nationals to do this in BA. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: