Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unclear about vacation days & apartments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bohinj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Unclear about vacation days & apartments Reply with quote

I read some confusing posts about how vacation days are calculated in the UAE. I'm still in the investigative stage in regards to schools but I noticed the HCT website says 61 days of vacation. Does this include weekends? (I thought someone on another post a few weeks ago claimed this.) Or, are the 61 days in addition to weekends and religious holiday that are available to take whenever you want as long as it works with the schedule?
Also, are the apartments provided pretty nice? I assume they are not in compounds.
Thanks.
grand fromage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: vacations and apartments Reply with quote

I don't work for HCT, but all the institutions here are similar: the first and last weekend of the vacation is not counted but all the ones in between are, so in fact there are fewer work days than it seems. However, since there are so many days, it doesn't seem to be an issue. As for apartments, they vary from bare-minimum to luxurious. It's the luck of the draw, but even the most basic one will be better than what other places have to offer-everything is built here to impress, so it would be hard to get something unacceptable.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohinj

Compounds are only found in Saudi. In the rest of the Middle East you live wherever. (though there are a few places that have housing on their campus - like SQU and AUS) As Grand Frommage said, which apt you get is luck of the draw. Often it happens that the first newbies to arrive get the best flats.

I hope you weren't complaining about the 61 days including weekends. Compared to the US, this is hugely generous. Smile For HCT, this number may include semester break of a couple weeks, this was a point of debate back when I was there and I don't know the outcome, but I'm certain that it doesn't include Eids and other holidays. These days tend to vary each year because they are on a lunar calendar. So, there are long, well-paid leave times in most places. One does get spoiled heading off for a couple of months of travel with all that summer pay in your pocket and a free ticket in your hand.

VS
bohinj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Not complaining! Reply with quote

Now that I know the policy, no way am I complaining. Up until very recently my current school didn't offer any paid vacation! Now they have cut out medical insurance but have given us paid vacations. The UAE is looking very, very good.
hmbaba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Unclear about vacation days & apartments Reply with quote

Hello,
If it's holidays you want, UAEU is still probably the best deal - they might take a few extra Thursdays, but the mid year break is not counted in the 55 or 60 daysof vacation every year and there's a lot of non-teaching time when you get half time presence on campus.
Some places provide accom in the first year, but then once you know your way around the city, you can get a housing allowance and choose your own place.
Regards,
Heather Baba
JCMach1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Arriving in UAE (job with AUS) on Friday Reply with quote

I will let you know what the villas are like.

I will also be keeping a weblog of my experiences there as well.

http://www.usa2uae.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: