Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do French still hate Americans?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pollux

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a Carte de Sejour doesn't make you special, but rather employable. There is stiff competition in Paris, as there are plenty of people who 'love' the French way of life and are happy to work for peanuts. Just look in FUSAC to see how people try to lowball each other. As a new teacher you can't expect the choice jobs, but you can make it.

There must be someone who needs to tutor Sarkozy. Maybe that will be you. 1600 euros? You will be one tired teacher.
eslman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all the sad reasons why I left France. It is very hard to survive if one is not French or have high in demand skills, ie: lawyer, doctor, bi-lingual. I am not one of those, as I do not have a college degree, and my French is poor. I would find it quite risky to move back there, but I may try again soon because my daughter lives there and miss her. I may give it another try, after and if I get the CELTA. I guess it all depends on the job, but money is needed to make it in Paris; it goes very fast.

I am now working at a private international school here in Poland, and plan to teach ESL to adults as well.. I had no major problems finding work here, and can live quite nicely, but ironicly, many Poles are moving abroad to make more $.
dracotei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to agree with Pollux here, and I'm not French. I live in the States but was born in Europe. The thing is that the French sense of humor, by itself, is very different than the American. The French tend to be more sarcastic and cynical, I found, while going to school there. I managed to make plenty of friends, and so would my American classmates if they wouldn't be so loudly proud that the U.S. is #1 (their words, not mine).

Now, when you look at education, that's also different. You, American teachers, are more educated than the masses here. However, in France, even the little old man who sells you crepes knows where, say, Hawaii is. I just about died laughing when in college, after telling a few people I am Romanian, they thought I was from Rome. I don't even want to get in the whole Dracula and Transilvania thing. Education is really not as important as the politicians claim it is here in the U.S. I also don't think it's the American people's fault because the media tends to cloud their minds and lead them to hate all kinds of people they never met.

The whole "boycott France" thing made me sick to my stomach because who gives a rat's ass if Bush and Chirac don't get along, French cheese and wine are great! I'd never let some idiots tell me what to buy. It's all about mass hysteria here. Ionesco was right. I don't even want to know who named fries French? They're Belgian, for crying out loud.

But, there I go rambling again. My advice, if you go to France, try to do what the French do, just like "when in Rome.... " The French won't hate you if you have an open mind and can discuss world issues showing that you don't get your information from the nightly news in the U.S.

In the words of D. M., "I could be wrong, but I doubt it."

Peace
Chris

PS. They also hate Americans in Mexico because they're loud and puke all over the place. Do you see a pattern here?...
KSA-UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do French still hate the american?

Why "still" ?
Do you think the French would ever change their mind? It's strange because one of their "great" leaders said once:" Il n'y a que les imbeciles qui ne changent pas d'avis"(Only fools never change their mind).What did he mean by that? Was he being selfcritical??? Question
I wonder why one of the posters used the clichee"all dogs bite"...? Question
Anyway, I think most posters have been long enough in France to realise that France is a lovely country, where food's nice, women are charming, cheese smells, drivers are mad, bureaucracy kills you unless you hold a French passport..."Bref" and last but not least THE FRENCH DISLKE ANYTHING THAT IS NON FRENCH,(including french nationals from foreign descent...)
Some of you maybe need to stay a bit longer to draw that conclusion...

Cheers

Ish
Noelle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just said goodbye to one of my French students. I am teaching in San Diego, CA and I have students from all over the world, but mostly Europeans. The French students seem to be the most outspoken and most forward with their anti-American remarks but I have understood that most of Europe feels this way.

In any case, I was really happy to send this guy back to merry Paris!
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle - you have judged the whole of Europe after having met one French student ?

Wow ! That's 25 EU countries plus all the other non aligned countries and we are all the same ?

Maybe we should ask a Scandinavian, a Brit, a Spaniard, a Cypriot and a Greek what they think about your slight generalisation.
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle wrote:
The French students seem to be the most outspoken and most forward with their anti-American remarks but I have understood that most of Europe feels this way.

Anti-American in a generic way or was he criticising certain policies? If so, were his arguments rational and supported?

I'm not American, but I've not come across any personal animosity to Americans (unless warranted on a personal level!). In the UK you'd suffer from jokes, but we make loads against ourselves as well. In Italy I make comments about the bureaucracy and get wry agreement from the locals.

I'm sure you'd have noticed the difference if it were really personal.
wildchild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH,

Perhaps it has been some significant amount of time since you were last in the belly of the beast, for Americans and, god forbid, foreigners don't dare to question the foreign policy, no matter rational or supported arguments, just don't do it, whadya think, this is a democracy or somethin? Hell no! We're at war against terrorists! Any debate of our policy only makes them stronger! Twisted Evil

That Frenchmen mentioned above was lucky to get out while he did, that Anti-American! Twisted Evil

By the way, there was an interesting analysis/discussion on the use of the term 'Anti-American' in the Applied Linguistics forum here, which can be found in the Teacher Forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: