Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off topic on Singapore
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wabbit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: unbelievable! Reply with quote

you know what sheephead? i shall not comment further, it is a waste of time. why do you have that much anger in you? chill man!

ps: dun you agree(other readers)? ^_^
wabbit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way....the boo on sheephead was intentional Smile

forgive me, cause i had also made other boos in my life...
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: unbelievable! Reply with quote

wabbit wrote:
you know what sheephead? i shall not comment further, it is a waste of time. why do you have that much anger in you? chill man!

ps: dun you agree(other readers)? ^_^
No. He has some reasonable concerns. He is not "angry."

In my experience, those who resort to the "why do you have that much anger in you?" response have no other way to counter somebody's argument. So they hurl accusations of false "anger." Doesn't wash.
wabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what else to say Smile typical ang mos...defend all you want, i wash my hands off you guys.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting and running. Now that is anger!!
Toosey-Jay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Am i reading this right??! Reply with quote

Buried under all the insults there are some interesting figures in this post...

With an exchange rate of 3.0 I have converted the quoted figures into UK Sterling - Singapore is CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just as a guide - the tube in London is �5 per day - ie 15 Singp Dollars.

Am I converting this correctly?? I can't believe you think Singapore is so expensive!!
sheepshead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Off Topic Singapore Reply with quote

A good comparison; however there is more than one item to compare, yes?

How far does your 5 pound take you on the London train system? What is the "average wage" of a teacher?

Maybe England needs to charge such outlandish prices to help keep subsidised its "Primary Industry" or keep on the dole those who make a "profession" of not doing an honest days work in their life. Yes?

It would be interesting if you would give a truthful rundown on all living expenses in London. Then again, London is not England and indeed England is not London. No?

For those who may be interested in working in Singapore, remember the old adage: Caveat Emptor.
Toosey-Jay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some valid points, you're still really, really strange though.

Bidding you a fond farewell..
sheepshead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Salaries Singapore Reply with quote

There was a man swimming in the sea of a lifeguard patrolled beach. He got into difficulties and in tradition with attracting attention he raised his arm and waved it in the air.

Life guards on the beach saw the distress signal and sent a surf ski to help him. He immediately cried foul and abused the person who paddled out to help him. His abuse was so strong that the lifeguard then returned to the beach and sent a team of colleagues out in the surf boat.

Once again the drowning man abused them and refused to allow them to help him. Consequently, he drowned in the sea.

He was a really S � T � R � A � N � G � E man.

Is this a fair enough analogy of people who ask for help and then refuse it on these threads?

Let the readers judge for themselves!
omanized

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The readers have judged !! The verdict....... Sh...head is the only poster in Singapore who wasn't savvy ehough to bend or negotiate the rules and regulations. The sentence ? ...... a short period of frustration and bitterness followed by a longer spell of self-righteous indignation with others who dare to challenge his experience.

Regards,

someone who has never been to the city and is only dipping into other forums to relieve 10 minutes of boredom - thanks for the memories !
sheepshead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your writing tells me that you could be one very frustrated Language School employer who is finding it difficult to find people who are devoid of intelligence to fall for the corrupt Singaporean way of life. For the record, I lived for about 16 months on Singapore and I worked for about 14 months on that Authoritarian ruled Island.

Do I recommend Singapore as a destination for anyone to teach English? NO! Emphatically NO! Korea is a far more acceptable country to go to if you can get work in their proper schools and not their �Hogwons.�

Maybe there are still decent people on earth that live good clean lives? Yes? Maybe other countries offer better lifestyles with out the hidden corruption? NO? Maybe!

Your personal attack (�Sh...head�) causes me to draw judgment that you are one delusioned person and that you are not a person who respects other people and their experiences in life. My pen name here is SHEEPSHEAD not as your filthy mind perceives my name!

You wrote: �. . . who wasn't savvy ehough to bend or negotiate the rules and regulations.� This tells me that you seem to perceive that corruption is perfect as long as it suits the person who will benefit the most. My perception is simply that there is NO place for corruption in Singapore or any where else. In fact, I read several stories of people being brought to court to answer for their corrupt actions. If you desire to fall foul of the law, then do so at your own expense and demise, but please do not encourage others to run your course with its potential potent penalties.

However, you may one day be walking along and trip over a lump under the carpet and, you may on inspection of the lump, find that it is a pile of dirt swept there by some one of high position. You will have two choices: First, you can drop the carpet and run away from the corrupt filth or secondly: you can crawl right into it and feel at home. This is a choice which every person working on Singapore must face eventually.

Personally, I left the place because of the corruption on the Island. I posted this warning so that decent moral people, who seek employment teaching on Singapore, may make an objective assessment of what is ahead of them.

In law there is one word which haunts me: �CULPABILITY!� I have NO desire to be culpable of not warning decent citizens of dangers that lay in wait for them on the Authoritarian ruled Island called Singapore.

Finally, I have been to many cities and I know that corruption is rife in most if not all of them. However, it seems to me that Singapore has more than its fair share of corruption. Maybe you will feel at home on Singapore but please do not try and assert your authority (which you do not have) to persuade people to stick their necks into a noose. Also, I pray that you are not teaching English as your spelling mistakes stand out a �country mile.� This does not include your punctuation errors! I would not want you to teach my Grandchildren!

By the way, I am sure that the person who many years ago said, �Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit� was a very wise person!
omanized

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There , there , now Mr. Sheepshead, I was only poking a bit of anonymous fun at your name and your rather highstrung responses to the other posters.

Notice that the 'N' and 'H' are positioned close together on the keyboard - that would explain my spelling mistake. As for punctuation, this is a chat forum and normal rules don't apply - shall I send a dissertation with approved style and font instead?

Perhaps you should spend some of your energy in correcting your own language mistakes - have you really lived 'on' Singapore? You can live 'on' the island yes, but 'in' a city.

And btw, I would love to teach your Grandchildren ! ( why is this capitalized anyway?) We can start with the above lesson on prepositions. I think it would be fun and I'm sure they are lovely children. Of course, we would try to limit the snickering at grumpy old grandad but I can't promise anything !

Regards,

a decent and moral fellow human
sheepshead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Off Topic Singapore Reply with quote

Like the wise man said, "Sarcasim is the lowest form of wit!"

Yes, my Grandchildren are fantastic students who do not need a person like you to teach them. (NO sarcasim intended!)

Punctuation: It is my belief that it does not matter what (text) we write or where (on what) we write, we should always be correct in everything. Of course, readers may or may not agree with me. No?

Mistakes: We can make one or maybe two mistakes (typo) however, should we not edit what we write?

I wish you all the best working "on" the Island of Singapore which may suit you.

November Oscar Bravo Siera.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long (total) did sheepshead live in Singapore?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: