Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Money in NZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Money in NZ Reply with quote

I t is now about a year ago when I met a NZ director of a large school in Auckland,who told me that his staff got 25 dollar an hour.

It does not sound v ery good, there is tax and transport on top of that in an expensive town

In Shenzhen I make at least 150 to 200 an hour, tax paid and no transport costs; so 30 to 40 NZ equivalent and much cheaper living.

What is the current rate?

I hope to be working in Christchurch in Feb/March 2004
JosephP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Money Reply with quote

I live in Auckland and I am making around NZD$50,000 per annum. Granted, I'm working my butt off. Also, Auckland is pretty expensive rent-wise, not much around here goes for less than NZD$300 a week. Public transport here in Auckland is pretty dire (expensive too) but cars are cheap (compared to many other places) but the traffic is diabolical and the drivers...don't get me started.
I have aan acquaintance down in Christchurch who is getting a salary of NZD$42,500 yearly doing IELTS teaching. His wife is doing the same, so they are living fat.
Buena suerte, choke dee, bon chance, good luck.
JP
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye Gods, you have made my day!
I only need half of that and do not want any more either....I am 64.
It may well be that I am deemed too old; it was the reason I went to China where my age was irrelevant.
Nevertheless, now there is something that is f a c t. rather than a perhaps
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too happy. In Christchurch, assuming you can get a job in the first place, you'll be lucky to get anything over NZ$25 an hour.

Realistically, you'll be looking at something around $15 to start on. That's what places are offering, and given the numbers of spare teachers about they can keep offering that for some time to come.
JosephP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Ai yo Reply with quote

That's pretty depressing.
I remember back in 1993 when I was living in Kuala Lumpur a Kiwi lady from Christchurch said that I ought to go to Christchurch to teach English. She said that the going rate was NZD$25/hour. Here it is 10 years later the rate appears to have declined. But NZD$15/hour? If that's the case, the schools are making a bundle as a check through the websites reveal that many schools are charging over NZD$330 a week. Even if the schools drop the fees to NZD$240 a week, they are still making out.
Figuring the teacher does a full week at NZD$15 X 25 hours the pay equals NZD375 and minus tax and ACC take home means around 300 Kiwi dollars. That truly sucks the big wazoo. A person might as well as be a dishwasher as free meals are usually thrown in to the equation. A person could also do better by pleading that they have an ingrown toenail and therefore go on a sickness benefit for life.
Personally, I'm investing in Lotto tickets.
Kereru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest agency in Chch - Select Education- pays a flat rate of $25 per hour but I get nearly double that if you only count the hours I "teach".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: