Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware of private school in Pereira, Colombia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Beware of private school in Pereira, Colombia Reply with quote

I had posted this school on the LA job list because they advertised on Dave's. I just got this email from the Embassy of Colombia asking me to remove her from the list.

Pereira. Private School, Maria Helena Garcia
[email protected]
(Canadian native teachers only)

Hello Naturegirl 321, you posted contacts to apply for job in Colombia. Please remove contact to [email protected].
She is associated with cartel's organization. Bellow is a letter describing an experience of the teacher, that got out. American teacher, his colleague never made it. David.
Ana Milena Buitrago, owner of the school, she is in direct contact with Cartel and she is listed by FBI
Carlos Eduardo Mejia Ospina, convicted criminal in USA for selling drugs in NY school yards. After serving 6 years in prison, deported to his home country Colombia. ESL teacher and official translator between foreigners in Pereira and Spanish VIP's. Listed by FBI.

Dear Jiri:

If you have any question please contact me.

Fiscalía General de la Nación
Nivel Central - Bogotá , D.C.
Diagonal 22B No. 52-01 (Ciudad Salitre)
Teléfonos: 570 20 00 - 414 90 00

Best regards,

Embassy of Colombia

Employment Advisory: Liceo Campastre, Pereira , Colombia

Re: Potential Trafficking of Narcotics

To whom it may concern:

Please be advised that this letter constitutes an unofficial advisory to your nationals with respect to potential implication in narcotics trafficking by virtue of employment at Liceo Campastre, Pereira , Colombia and constitutes a summary of the author's experience.

In summer 2004, I was offered a position as an English as a Second Language teacher at Liceo Campestre de Pereira, Pereira , Colombia . This position was offered to me by a hiring scout connected to the Canadian Embassy in Bogotá, Mrs. Maria Helena Garcia. Having accepted this position I arrived to Liceo Campestre at the end of August 2004 and lived in an apartment owned by a family member of Liceo Campestre owner Ana Milena Buitrago.

The teaching itself was not a bad experience, with the exception of an unsolicited visit to my apartment during the first month, in which several instructors came over, one of whom, Carlos Mejia Ospina, informed me "I would be the bad guy in the end." I did not know that I would become unwittingly involved in trafficking. I was just physical existence to my credit card, which number was stolen from me and used for purchase of cargo space on international flight to France . This was found by credit card security services informing me with this information several months later after my return home to Canada . The payment was refused and credit card terminated. My passport was copied for Liceo Campestre’s purposes without my approval.

This was just the beginning of my ordeal. Over the next seven months, I was forcibly isolated from the rest of Pereira especially from foreigners living and teaching in other schools in Pereira area. The phone line was restricted to local calls only and was often controlled together with my voice mailbox. I would only be able to travel to school and back by school bus. After school hours and on weekends I was monitored and manipulated by Beatriz Lopez Munoz, music teacher at Liceo Campestre and Carlos Mejia Ospina, a former drug dealer deported from the U.S. after serving a six year sentence and current ESL teacher at Liceo Campestre.

At the beginning of January 2005, Mr. Javier Franco, a U.S. citizen and ESL teacher at Liceo Campestre, disappeared. I was told in a private meeting with Carlos Mejia Ospina and Ana Milena Buitrago in her Liceo Campestre office that There was a ransom for his release. Shortly after, I was told, that Carlos Mejia Ospina would become my new "translator and coordinator".

At the end of January 2005, I met unexpectedly the coordinator of foreign ESL teachers at Liceo Ingles de Pereira, Mr. Craig. He immediately denied Ana Milena Buitrago's statement about Liceo Ingles's ESL staff members not being interested in meeting me and in further conversation it was obvious, that she lied to me about them and to them about me. She spread falsehoods to the entire school system in Pereira to keep me isolated from others.

Shortly afterwards, I began to feel that my safety was greatly at risk. I scheduled a trip out of Colombia , which I had discussed previously with Ana Milena Buitrago. Conditions of my travel were based on family emergency situation in Europe . To her surprise, I left twelve hours earlier than agreed notifying her from hotel in Bogota the very same day.

Then the true terror began. Ana Milena Buitrago and all teaching staff at Liceo Campestre knew I was out of Colombia . Ana Milena Buitrago engaged the police to find me, lied to the Canadian Ambassador to Colombia , alleged that crimes occurred at Beatriz Lopez Munoz's address and falsely implicated me. It was too dangerous for her the truth about my isolation by her lies to be discovered. She ensured that I would not be able to return safely to Colombia . The truth was too great a threat to her school's reputation.

Your Ministry would do well to advise your nationals to refuse employment at Liceo Campestre de Pereira. Many professional organizations and universities outside Colombia have acknowledged that graduates with diplomas from Liceo Campestre or any diploma signed by Ana Milena Buitrago after the 2006 academic year will be considered professionally undesirable. It would be advisable that all students from Pereira 's Liceo Campestre be subject to academic review prior to future acceptance.

Sincerely,

Jiri Vasatko, LTI.PTA.RBT.MBT

Michal Bryce, Lawyer

Gillian Uribe, Lawyer

David Li" [email protected]
John Hall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321,

Why don't you post this on the SCAM WARNING thread that appears at the top of each forum?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Hall wrote:
naturegirl321,

Why don't you post this on the SCAM WARNING thread that appears at the top of each forum?

Thanks, great idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: