Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fujimori Extradition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Fujimori Extradition Reply with quote

What is the thought on the street ( and in the classroom) about the extradition of former president Alberto Fujimori? Is anyone on this forum familiar with Peruvian politics? What is the feeling amongst the people that you have spoken with?

Mr. Fujimori is facing serious charges. What are his prospects of either an acquittal or the charges being dropped at some point? If he is convicted would that bar him from running again (he's eligible in 2011), assuming he's not in prison at that point.

Alan Garcia left Peru in disgrace after wrecking the economy and the guerrilla insurgency of the murderous Shining Path thugs almost toppled his government. Yet, he was re-elected as president last year. There is also a lot of talk about Fujimori's daughter, Keiko who is in the Peruvian congress running for president in 2011.

It would be interesting to hear some thoughts on this.
BTW Are foreign nationals barred under Peruvian law from commenting on and/or participating in politics? (In Mexico they are)
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most Peruvians want Fujimori to get what's coming to him, but know it'll take years. Besides, no one knows where he was born. First he said in Peru, then when he left he said Japan and he had lied about being born in Peru.
rgamarra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually offered the opportunity to go meet Fujimori in July by my husband's family member who does business with his son. My concern was that if my husband and/or I had any business or political aspirations in the future what sort of affect (negative or positive) it may have on that.

As far as Keiko and the presidential elections of 2011, Peruvians will change their minds 20 different times. Fujimori came into the campaign trail late in the game, so it's really anybody's ball in 2011.

Regardless of the 2011 outcome, the Fujimoristas will still have a say in Peruvian politics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: