Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job satisfaction?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
desarroiam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Job satisfaction? Reply with quote

First let me introduce myself a little bit. I am an American and Ive been working in France for the last five years, legally. So I'd like to say it is possible, and yes you do need to know the 'loopholes' or should I say the rules of the game, but, if you've got the qualifications and can speak French (very important, as simply loving the country won't get you a job) there's really no need to dispair. As in a previous thread, someone said there is a boom and I agree. I work for two different 'schools' and both have asked me if I had any English speaking friends because they have more clients than they can handle. However the work is not stable and nothing is guaranteed (I have a CDII, which even most French people don't know what it is. Basically It's an open ended contract, but with no guaranteed hours/amount of work. Where I am wasn't the first place Ive heard of using this system. Schools who use this contract arent forced to pay as many charges on your head and of course can get around the fact that sometimes theres a lot of work and sometimes not). For example fall is a pretty good period, right now I'm pretty busy but last winter (January-March), there was a pretty big slump so since I'm paid by the hour my salary changed with the workload change.

Anyways....My post isn't really about how to get a job, I just wanted to add my two cents. Right now I'm more interested in hearing from people who have been here for a while. I'm currently considering completely changing fields (I have the possibility to do an apprenticeship in Human Resourses). I have a double degree in communications/french from the US, and so I moved here as a language assistant because I wanted to live in France. I didnt neccesarily want to become an English teacher, and at first I thought teaching English was mainly just having conversations with adults who basically had already learned the rules etc. So now 4 years after my assistantship position Im working as a teacher and actually teaching grammar etc etc.

Did you all set out to be teachers or is it just a noble way of making a living? Do you think being a 'business English teacher' in France is respectable, what with all the expoitative schools and ripoffs? If you could choose to change would you? When I first got here I wasn't really geared towards business and now I realize I'm just strengthening the machine of globalization. So if I'm going to be a part of this whole big business thing, I might as well make some money, non? Is there anyone who has been here for a while who really is happy about their teaching career (in terms of pay, daily schedules etc.)? Does anyone have a fixed schedule/CDI/fixed salary that isn't working for Wall Street? What do you say when you tell French people you work for an English school and they say 'what Wall Street English or something'?

This is a discussion forum, let's discuss!
Nmarie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been in France for five years, and, yes, always legally (through either student status or working for l'Education Nationale). I have only been teaching in the private sector for two months, and so far I think it's rubbish -- At least, the hourly-pay set-up. I work for two schools -- One is great, being run by an independent employer who has set me up in a private bank. Because I teach groups, the cancellation of courses has not arisen. The second job, on the other hand, is mainly private courses in various companies. While this is interesting, the rate of cancellations can be high when it's one-on-one. If clients adhere to the 48-hour notice policy, they are not billed, and I am not paid. Fortunately, cancellations have tended to be last minute and billed, but each week I worry about my hours...Not good. The scheduling aspect is positive: I arrange my hours directly with the clients.

My advice is to find a company that offers a fixed salary, though I am not sure how feasible this is in the English teaching private sector.

As far as the respectability of business English teaching...That would depend on the benefits of the job situation. I, too, am beginning to explore other career avenues.
bsjess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: It has its ups and downs Reply with quote

First, check out this article (in French) about teaching English in France. It's from the Observer October 25th. I don't know about you, but reading articles like these gets me out of my teaching funk and back to the trenches:

http://hebdo.nouvelobs.com/hebdo/parution/p2242/articles/a357579-.html

Teaching English in France, for me, now five years, has had its ups and downs. When I first arrived, my friends, family, and co-workers said, "Be ready for burn-out after four years." I took that very seriously.

After three years, I decided I liked it enough to keep at it and to get an MA in teaching English. I then had the momentum to start my own freelance business (travailleur independent).

My point: my job satisfaction has never been at 100% all the time. But it's been high enough, for long enough, for me to know that I want to keep at it. And as an independent, I now have the freedom to explore unlimited realms of the English theory, pedagogy, coaching, translating, writing, and even political, world in France.

In addition, secondary education is a realm that is in desperate need of revamping. And I've decided I want to ride that wave. It will take a ton of time and energy, I know, but the view will only get better from here.

I can completely understand your desire to explore other career options. You are not alone. Follow your gut. Always.
wildchild

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Follow your gut

What a funny expression. I know where my leads and I would rather not go there. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: