Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

German health insurance provider compulsory?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil1979

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: German health insurance provider compulsory? Reply with quote

Yet another health insurance question, I'm afraid - this one for EU citizens. I understand that as a freelancer teaching English health insurance is compulsory but I have been unable to find clarification on whether it's acceptable to have private health insurance from abroad (for example BUPA, which I have) or whether you must have insurance from a German provider? For a start, who controls all this? I take it the Finanzamt? What proof do they ask for?
Does anybody here work as a freelancer and have a non-German private health insurance provider? Did the Finanzamt accept this documentation?
Because I've just started paying 150euros a month with a German provider and it seems a huge waste of money - it won't cover me for regular visits to a GP or dentist (the first 700 euros comes from my own pocket), and if I needed more extensive treatment for something I'd rather go back to my home country and have it done there anyway . . . But before I set about cancelling the insurance, I need to know whether I really have any choice . . .
Insubordination

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help but I also want to know this information. The main reason I'm not choosing Germany as a destination is the health insurance issue. It's an outrageous amount and would be even more for me because I have a pre-existing condition.

I want to just use my travel insurance but if something went wrong, I understand that I wouldn't be covered it I were found to be working in Germany.
neil1979

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping that someone on here can post a definitive reply, but having scouted around other sites it seems to be that as a freelancer you are not obliged to have any health insurance at all and if you do, it's completely up to you what sort you have. If that's the case I will definitely cancel the one I have just started.
puhutes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also something really unclear for me as well. I'm honestly not too excited about paying for medical insurance since these things are free in Canada Sad.. Also getting a tax number ASAP was unclear...lucky I have mine now!
SF21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm American and only have travel insurance right now. When I went down to apply for my residence/freelance permit at the KVR (probably like the Finanzamt), the person processing the app. didn't even ask me for my proof of health insurance, even though I had the paper read to hand him.

I got the permit stamp in my passport 20 minutes later.

I still plan on getting the minimal amount of German private health insurance, though.
dagi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/index_en.html

You might find some information on this website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: