Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best places to start in Germany?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidmeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Best places to start in Germany? Reply with quote

Hello All!

I'm fleshing out my options for starting my TESOL work next Sept (2009). I dearly want to be nearer to Berlin, but I have read on these forums that work/cheaper living is a bit thin on the ground there, especially for newbies.

Can anyone give me some tips on places to start out in Germany that have good rail links to Berlin (i.e. 5-6 hour train journey max)? Or would it in fact be possible to find work in Berlin?

Some background on me. I'm from the UK, have a degree in Communications and Cultural Studies, one of my A-Levels was in Eng Lit and Lang, and I have experience in DJing and dance music production. I work currently in administration/office management in London.

I would be looking to take a CELTA in Germany, unless taking it there is really not worth it - I thought it would give me time to make contacts. If not, I would take the CELTA here in the UK.

I am currently thinking Frankfurt or Hamburg would be good options, I'm a bit of a city kid - I love the noise, pollution and the faceless, impersonal commuters Wink

Thanks

D
davidmeta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thoughts???
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germany's a relatively tough market overall - you probably really need to be there beating the pavements and making contacts to land anything...
BerlinCELTA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: CELTA and teaching in Germany Reply with quote

Hello David,

Glad to hear that you are interested in teaching English in Germany. I am a CELTA tutor at the Berlin and Hamburg CELTA centres and would be happy to answer any questions that you may have about the award or working in Germany (here or via our school email - see below).

In my personal experience, working in Germany has been a good experience, both professionally and financially. ELT is not a high income industry at the best of times but while I was freelancing I was able to enjoy a reasonable quality of life and save enough to cover my expenses for a 3 month sabbatical while I completed my Diploma (which was not a small amount of money). This while paying all my legal dues (tax, insurances, state pension dues) as well as everyday living costs.

While I would not contradict much of the negative comment about Germany on this board, I can only say that it does not mirror my experience very closely.

If you are interested in taking the CELTA in Germany (and I would recommend it if you wish to work here as you get to know German learners from day one and can network quickly after the course) then contact us at:

BERLIN: [email protected]
HAMBURG: [email protected]

The Munich VHS also runs a course once per year (also a very good training team).

All the best,

Anthony Gaughan
CELTA tutor and assessor
BERLIN & HAMBURG SCHOOLS OF ENGLISH
CELTA Teacher Training Centres
rachmc83

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this post....David looks like you're in a similar dituation to me, I'm looking to go and teach in Berlin in Jan/Feb 2009 after doing a CELTA in Berlin (I just posted a message about this....)

Have you heard about anywhere decent to apply?
I've heard of a few companies if you wanna take a look at their websites...Accelingua, Berlitz and Wall Street. I'm pretty sure there's more smaller private ones that offer more money too.

Also Anthony I have a message for you...I would like to know more about the CELTA course in Berlin. I actually applied there last year before coming to Korea and was accepted on the course but decided I would put myself in a better situation by going to Korea for a years experience first.
However, once August comes my year in Korea will be over and I want to start organising my move to Berlin, including applying for the CELTA course again.

If you have any valuable advice or info I would love to hear about it, especially what happens after the course....do you assist with finding work or put people in contact with teachers there?

Any info will be great, thanks Smile
BerlinCELTA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replied by PM to the last poster, so here are just a few general points which I hope will be helpful.

When it comes to finding work and recommending schools, you need to be clear about the nature of the market in Germany. To a great extent, the teaching market is freelance, meaning that teachers are self-employed individuals who market their skills and time either directly to clients or indirectly via schools or other third parties.

There are relatively few opportunities for obtaining "full-time" contracts in the traditional sense. A teacher generally finds themselves working for or with a number of clients/providers rather than with one (in fact, German freelance law prohibits this).

I do not think it appropriate in my position to recommend or criticise other institutions regarding working opportunities or quality of conditions (and if I did, you would be entitled to question my impartiality!).

The best source of varied and current information regarding work opportunities is found via the local English Language Teacher's associations throughout Germany. These are:

Berlin = ELTAB-B = www.eltabb.com
Stuttgart = ELTAS = www.eltas.de
Hamburg = HELTA = www.helta.de
Cologne = ELTA-Rhine = www.elta-rhine.de
Munich = MELTA = www.melta.de
Frankfurt/M = ELTAF = www.eltaf.de
Austria = TEA = www.tea-austria.org

There is also a new ELTA in Ulm (but I don't know the URL)

I hope this helps,

Anthony Gaughan
CELTA tutor
Berlin/Hamburg, Germany
matador

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for a place in Bremen called ELS and they paid about 26 Euros an hour. Good vibe and some nice students! Do it!
StralsundAmi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: work in regular high school Gymnasium Reply with quote

I found the best option was to work in a regular German high school. I had to go through a lengthy process after i got the job to be accepted by the local school board but it finally happened after they observed a couple of my classes. I got a regular long term contract with paid holidays and health insurance. The pay is about 2,600� and no running around from place to place. Its some work to make it all happen but definitely worth it. Im getting ready to take my paid 5 week summer vacation..... Smile [/b]
Insubordination

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, what kind of quals do you have?

I'm going to Bremen for a while because of family. I had kind of ruled out working there but I'll try that school you mentioned.
hexadec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed '[email protected]' six weeks ago about booking a CELTA course in Hamburg.

They didn't bother to reply!

Not very encouraging is it?
BerlinCELTA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: No Reply from HAMBURG SCHOOL OF ENGLISH Reply with quote

We have responded to the original poster via PM.

The HAMBURG SCHOOL OF ENGLISH Teacher Training Centre always tries to respond to enquiries within 48hours of receipt. When this does not happen, one of two things may be the case:

1) your email never reached us - try sending it again to [email protected] as a plain text message with an obvious tag line

2) your email was "swallowed" by our junk filter - if this happens your email will probably be recovered by one of us within a week, but to reduce the chances of this happening, try sending it again to [email protected] as a plain text message with an obvious tag line

We certainly NEVER ignore enquiries and always try to respond as helpfully and swiftly as possible, so please do get in touch via [email protected] if you would like information about CELTA in Germany.

Best wishes,

Anthony Gaughan
CELTA Teacher Training Centre
HAMBURG SCHOOL OF ENGLISH
hexadec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anthony, I've replied to your PM.

Cheers, Roy
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow in my footsteps. I started EFLing in Berlin (West) in 1968.
rigel

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Germany's a relatively tough market overall - you probably really need to be there beating the pavements and making contacts to land anything...

That sounds like something I'm looking for. I have to beg them for a job, as nobody quits and they don't need to advertise for teachers every day of the world. Those are really the only jobs worth having in TESOL. The jobs that are hard as hell to get and are never advertised. That's what I'm talking about.
globalroamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rachmc83 wrote:
Just came across this post....David looks like you're in a similar dituation to me, I'm looking to go and teach in Berlin in Jan/Feb 2009 after doing a CELTA in Berlin (I just posted a message about this....)

Hi! Did you end up finding work in Germany? If so, can you share your experiences? I am looking to take the CELTA in Berlin come August, and am looking at all resources!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: