Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AUC fellowship questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brett

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: AUC fellowship questions Reply with quote

I got questions about the American University in Cairo. I am transferring schools in America and have the option to get my bachelors degree online or at the school. I've got about a year to finish the bachelors. I was wondering if anyone knows if a bachelors degree from a regionally accredited university online would be accepted into AUC's TEFL master's program? Also is teaching experience required to get the fellowship or is it just a plus?

Another question not to do with AUC. I know distance masters degrees are frowned upon in the ME, but what about a distance bachelors degree and an in person masters degree? Would the masters "override" the bachelors degree? Thanks in advance for any help.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the MA is the controlling degree for employment in the Middle East, and an MA at AUC gets "extra credit" there because if you are a Fellow, you have had experience teaching Arabic speakers.

The big problem is that experience is required to get into the program. I was the least experienced teacher in the program when I did the Fellowship. My BSc was in secondary ed, so I had student taught the last semester... many years before. All I had in addition to that was a couple of years of volunteering in Adult Education in the US. Most of the other Fellows in my group had 5-10 years of full-time overseas teaching experience.

To be honest, age is also a factor. They overlooked my lack of classroom experience because I was in my late 30s.

That said... as they told me when I talked to the NYC office of AUC and told them that I had no full-time ESL experience... you lose nothing by applying and with the variance in their applicants, you might luck out. I would try to get some ESL experience while you finish your BA. Volunteer in your local Adult Education program. It is great fun!! Cool

VS
Brett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll apply after my bachelors and if they say no I'll get a celta and go to Korea for a year or two and apply. If still no then I'll probably go to Saudi or somewhere then apply again. Finding a volunteer english teaching program around here, on the Kentucky/West Virginia border is very hard because we have almost no immigrants. I'll take a look again anyways and thanks again.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect plan! Another option to get experience might be Turkey. A few of the Fellows that I have met had Turkish experience.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: