Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need to be a registered company to freelance?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hatter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Do I need to be a registered company to freelance? Reply with quote

Hi all

Ive been working in Germany for about a year for one of those underpaying schools we all like to complain about. Then I was given the opportunity to do some freelance work. I was very keen of course BUT I have a problem: I am not a registered company and apparently I need to be in order for this clients company (a very big international one) to pay me (legally). They want VAT and freelance numbers and all sorts of things that I cant provide. Ive spoken to some colleagues and they say they have had similar problems.

So for those of you who have got freelance contracts with these comapnies - how did you do it?
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Sorry for delayed response.

I worked freelance in Frankfurt for two fairly large companies. They, of course, expected invoices, but I never ever paid one pfennicent of tax - I'd have quite literally died of starvation.

Check the tefl-germany site for a guide to how much the Germans try and charge freelancers. I reckon the number of freelancers paying full tax in Germany could be herded into a small phone box, which is probably where they all hang out begging ma and pa to head for the nearest Western Union.

It's probably not a very helpful reply, but if that company wants to be so bureaucratic for, let's face it, pennies, then let them rot in anglo-ignorance. There are companies out there who aren't at all happy with the McDonalds English schools popping up in every town. Who can blame them? They'd much prefer a competent freelancer with all the flexibility and cost-savings such a teacher could offer. Keep looking and good luck.

Regards

Not in Germany now
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: You're getting some wrong info about freelancing Reply with quote

You don't need to be a registered company to teach freelance in Germany. Probably 'they' were thinking from the German perspective of you might 'want' to become Ich, AG or something.

Freelance is freelance. What they want is your Steuernummer (tax ID number) from the Finanzamt and for you to prove you've registered with the BfA for your hefty contribution to the pension scheme in Germany - for which, I might add, you'll get no return.

Plenty of info on those costs is available on www.tefl-germany.de and you'd be advised to begin your reading before you agree to go freelance. Probably you're working for an inlingua or Berlitz and making around 10 Euro per hour. If you've a contract, they'll be paying a portion of your Krankenversicherung and you get holidays and sick time. Freelance gets none of that and the expenses could likely take you below what you're currently making.

If you've a contract and are a U.S. citizen, chances are your contract and permission to live and work in Germany is tied to your working for that school. If you go freelance, you'll lose all that protection and will have to fend for yourself at the Ausl�nderbeh�rde, Finanzamt, BfA and Arbeitsamt (for your permission to work in Germany). If you're EU you should still know your contract will allow you to work elsewhere freelance or if you'll need to do it under the table.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: