Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

certificate vs documents vs where to look for work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jooooooey

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: certificate vs documents vs where to look for work Reply with quote

This question has been addressed before, but I am getting a lot of different answers when I search through the forums. I apologize if I am repeating, but maybe someone can clarify.

I will be coming to Colombia this summer, most likely Bogota. What will I need to teach here?

I have a bachelor's degree and a year or two of experience. I don't have a certification but I have taken a fair amount of linguistics and teaching classes. I feel that the CELTA would be repeating a lot of what I already know and would be for the sake of appearances. I'm not asking about the validity of this certification.

As I understand, some sort of certification is needed to teach in the bilingual schools? But in language institutes I would be fine? Or is it up to the discretion of the school?

I have copies of my degree, criminal record, references, etc. They are stored on my computer. Would I need the original papers to get a work visa? Would I be able to get a visa without a certification? I have heard yes and no on this question, I'm confused.

I am unsure, because I won't have a lot of money to live on, and need to find a job quickly. Where should I be applying with my credentials?
windowlicker

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: certificate vs documents vs where to look for work Reply with quote

jooooooey wrote:

I am unsure, because I won't have a lot of money to live on, and need to find a job quickly. Where should I be applying with my credentials?

Don't come to Colombia without enough to get you by for a couple months. Estimates on how much this is exactly will vary, but I'd say $2000 in the bank. This is not a good country to be broke in. Have enough to get you through two months and pay for a flight home if things don't work out. Even if you get a job your first day here, consider the fact that payday probably won't come until a month later, and in Colombia there is a very real possibility that you won't get paid on time...and a small possibility you won't get paid at all.

You'll definitely be able to find work illegally in an institute, but without a CELTA (even if you already know the material) you probably won't get legal institute work. With a BA and some experience, you might be able to get legal work at a high school, but it would take more effort on your part to hook that up.

You may be asked to provide an original copy of your degree (or teaching certification). things aren't really set in stone...a lot is up to the person reviewing your case at the consulate. Electronic copies probably won't help. I have never been asked for criminal record checks, references, etc. in the three times I have applied for a work visa.
jooooooey

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, then provided I have enough money to get by for a couple months, I should be fine finding work without an original copy of my degree or a certificate?

Although I may need the original degree for a visa, depending on circumstance?

So my best bet (at least until I am settled) would be to arrive and find work at an institute illegally (although this is not ideal conditions)? And then this shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks a lot for the information. I was having trouble finding much consistent information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: