Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Practical impact of MA TESOL on teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neverheardofem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Practical impact of MA TESOL on teaching Reply with quote

I want to do the MA TESOL at some point in the future (in other words, when I can afford it) I know that it is necessary if I want to further my career at university level. I am curious to hear from those who have done it. Has it improved your classroom teaching and do you feel it is useful to someone teaching EAP or ESP? Or was your MA mainly theory? I guess I am wondering if it would have a practical impact on my actual teaching or if I should do the DELTA first.
adaruby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Practical impact of MA TESOL on teaching Reply with quote

neverheardofem wrote:
I want to do the MA TESOL at some point in the future (in other words, when I can afford it) I know that it is necessary if I want to further my career at university level. I am curious to hear from those who have done it. Has it improved your classroom teaching and do you feel it is useful to someone teaching EAP or ESP? Or was your MA mainly theory? I guess I am wondering if it would have a practical impact on my actual teaching or if I should do the DELTA first.

Not done an MA, but plan to in the future and have already done the DELTA. I certainly think that if you're looking for a practical qualification then the DELTA would be the one to go for at the moment, and it can also be used as credits towards most TESOL courses in the UK.

You'll also get plenty of theory in the DELTA - don't worry about that - but the financial benefits aren't huge. A nice number upon completion is pretty much guaranteed and there's no comparison between your awareness in the classroom pre and post-DELTA, but in many parts of the world universities still prefer an MA.
neverheardofem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that anyone can do the MA, or be accepted onto an MA, even without much teaching experience. I'm currently working with a girl who did her MA TESOL straight after she graduated - no experience. However, to do the DELTA you really need to have at least 3-5 years experience or you won't be able to handle it! I know that you will emerge from the MA with a huge amount of knowledge about methodology, materials development etc., but as a better teacher in the classroom? I don't understand why it is held in higher esteem that the DELTA. I may be completely wrong about this, and would like to hear your thoughts!
adaruby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neverheardofem wrote:
It seems to me that anyone can do the MA, or be accepted onto an MA, even without much teaching experience. I'm currently working with a girl who did her MA TESOL straight after she graduated - no experience. However, to do the DELTA you really need to have at least 3-5 years experience or you won't be able to handle it! I know that you will emerge from the MA with a huge amount of knowledge about methodology, materials development etc., but as a better teacher in the classroom? I don't understand why it is held in higher esteem that the DELTA. I may be completely wrong about this, and would like to hear your thoughts!

A lot of it just comes down to the fact that the DELTA isn't as widely known as an MA in most parts of the world.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the MATESOL was largely theoretical and the M.Ed TEFL was far more practical in terms of classroom usefulness (and I have done both).

For work at the tertiary level the choice would largely depend on whether you wanted to teach TESOL/TEFL as a subject or teach English (language learning).

The DELTA won't get you far at the tertiary level (the MA/M.Ed or PhD is the direction to go).

nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neverheardofem wrote:
I am curious to hear from those who have done it. Has it improved your classroom teaching and do you feel it is useful to someone teaching EAP or ESP? Or was your MA mainly theory? I guess I am wondering if it would have a practical impact on my actual teaching or if I should do the DELTA first.

You apparently didn't see "TEFL & the value of qualifications/degrees" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108363). Unfortunately, the thread didn't generate much discussion, so feel free to add your comments. Wink

and wrote:
I know that you will emerge from the MA with a huge amount of knowledge about methodology, materials development etc., but as a better teacher in the classroom? I don't understand why it is held in higher esteem that the DELTA. I may be completely wrong about this, and would like to hear your thoughts!

It depends on what you mean by "better" teacher and what you expect to gain/learn from an MA TESOL program or the Delta. Keep in mind, the most reputable university employers abroad want to see both a relevant MA and at least a few years of EFL teaching experience at the tertiary level. As such, the Delta falls short, even with many years of experience. But it's really not about your perception of MA programs vs the Delta; if the job ad states a full grad degree is required, then so be it.

I don't know about the UK and the MA programs you've reviewed, but many US MA in TESOL degrees include both teaching practice and theory. Besides, degree programs aren't all the same in terms of course content, which is why I always suggest degree seekers focus on the course descriptions and not just on a degree's generic major/title.

By the way, I went straight into my MAT degree program with zero teaching experience. However, the MAT is designed for career changers like me.
rtm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neverheardofem wrote:

It really depends on the program. Each one can be quite different. Some MA TESOL programs require students to have a minimum amount of teaching experience, others don't. Some require students to have a certain level of proficiency in another language, some don't. Some are entirely theory, and some are very practical and involve a lot of hands-on teaching. Some include a practical, supervised teaching experience (i.e., practicum), some don't (and of those that do, sometimes it's only 2 weeks, sometimes a semester or longer).

You should look at each individual program, what classes are offered, and who teaches them. You could also look for (or ask for) sample course syllabi so you can see what kind of orientation the courses have. You can also email program faculty with questions about the program.

I would say that my MA TESOL helped me to be a more reflective teacher, to better understand the reasons behind what I was doing in the classroom, and to make decisions in my teaching that are based on established theory and research.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MA can have the effect of giving its holder an exaggerated idea of his/her own importance. Remember that languages are not taught. They are learned.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Practical impact of MA TESOL on teaching Reply with quote

neverheardofem wrote:

As a general rule of thumb (and these rules ALWAYS have exceptions), MA TESOL programs that are housed in English departments or linguistics departments tend to lean more towards the theoretical side. MA programs housed in education departments (often known as M.Ed. or MAT degrees rather than MAs) tend to lean more towards the practical side and, in many instances (but not all), are geared more towards K-12 educators rather than instructors in adult ed or higher ed.

The MA program that I did was housed in an English department and definitely leaned more towards the theoretical than the practical. However, I found the program to be immensely practical in that (1) the program was located in Puerto Rico, so I was essentially studying in an EFL context, (2) I worked as a graduate instructor teaching basic English classes for undergraduates which supplemented my program with a solid practical component, and (3) the program provided me the opportunity to network with classmates who, collectively, had taught all over the world.

There are plenty of MA TESOL programs out there and all of them are different. Your best bet is to decide what you're looking for and, then, shop around and look for the best fit to help you achieve your own goals. I have colleagues who deliberately sought out MA programs with a strong practical focus, and I've had other colleagues who, because of their extensive prior teaching experience, specifically sought programs that were heavy on theory.

Unless you're planning to do an MA program that will allow you to transfer-in your DELTA coursework, I would lean towards seeking out a solid MA program that will help you meet your goals. I'm sure DELTA is a great professional development experience. But if your goal is university teaching, the MA will be a more direct route to getting there.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Practical impact of MA TESOL on teaching Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
neverheardofem wrote:

As a general rule of thumb (and these rules ALWAYS have exceptions), MA TESOL programs that are housed in English departments or linguistics departments tend to lean more towards the theoretical side. MA programs housed in education departments (often known as M.Ed. or MAT degrees rather than MAs) tend to lean more towards the practical side and, in many instances (but not all), are geared more towards K-12 educators rather than instructors in adult ed or higher ed.

Another general rule:

Schools located in North America will focus on the formalist / structuralist approach to language teaching and that it's all a science (this means that language primarily comes from your brain. It focuses on psycholinguistics.). You will read about Noam Chomsky a LOT. (Interesting "coincidence": Chomksy is an American linguist [and philosopher etc])

Schools in Australia (and apparently the UK) focus on the functionalist perspective (this means that language comes primarily from social interaction. It focuses on sociolinguistics). You spend a lot more time doing intercultural communications types of things. You will read about Michael Halliday (and the people who came after him) a lot. (Interesting "coincidence": Halliday is a British-born Australian applied linguist)

Having done a full-time one year program in each tradition (A CTESL [on-campus only mode available] in Ontario, Canada and an MTESOL [off-campus while teaching EFL at a high school in Japan] from a university in Australia]) I am extremely confident that neither tradition is "better" than the other.

They will both help you to teach language a HUGE amount, ***but*** these programs are really geared towards teaching at the university level (in fact, they are like doing a one-year consecutive B.Ed / PGCE to teach, except instead of your target audience and subject being "high school level math", your target audience and subject is "university level EFL/ESL/EAP"). So things like grammatical knowledge will help for teaching at the high school etc level, but the main goal is for university teaching. If you are teaching at the high school level, there are usually requirements for the courses that do not really integrate with the way you are taught to teach in your MA program- at least, if you are teaching at a high school in Asia. This is where the problem occurs. You (usually) cannot get a job teaching English at a university without the degree. If you are doing it off-campus, then chances are you won't even really see how people teach ESL / EFL at the university level while doing the program. So the best solution is to do a program on-campus at a university that has a practicum and do at least part of your practicum at the university. Not possible for most people. (Yet another interesting "coincidence": The formalist program I did was on-campus and had a required practicum that lasted throughout the program. We were told that if we wanted ANY chance of teaching ESL at a university or college in Ontario we absolutely HAD to do half of the practicum at that university. So that's what I did)

Just like the one-year B.Ed / PGCE to teach high school math or whatever, a masters degree in language teaching will help you become a better teacher, but it's just a first step. There's a reason why more than half of all newly trained teachers quit within the first three years (and these are often people who have never wanted to do anything other than teach since they were tiny children, and chose their undergraduate major(s) specifically to get into education).
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Practical impact of MA TESOL on teaching Reply with quote

GambateBingBangBOOM wrote:
Schools located in North America will focus on the formalist / structuralist approach to language teaching and that it's all a science (this means that language primarily comes from your brain. It focuses on psycholinguistics.) . . . Schools in Australia (and apparently the UK) focus on the functionalist perspective (this means that language comes primarily from social interaction. It focuses on sociolinguistics).

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate viewpoints that push me beyond my U.S.-centric perspective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: