Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job application for TATI
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Job application for TATI Reply with quote

Hi just got a response for job i applied for with TATI, they're asking me to send some documents back to them so they can interview me for the role. One of those is an experience certificate. we don't have these in the UK, i would've thought they would ask for reference letters, which i have.

What do you make of this? any advice tips needed.

Also wanted to ask how the spousal visa process works in Oman, do i have to get there first then apply for visa for my wife and kids or can we do this before i travel so they can come with me.

Many Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Job application for TATI Reply with quote

isaak wrote:
They're asking me to send some documents back to them so they can interview me for the role. One of those is an experience certificate. we don't have these in the UK, i would've thought they would ask for reference letters, which i have.

What do you make of this? any advice tips needed.

Discussed in:
"Copy of Experience Certificates?"
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=105840
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Job application for TATI Reply with quote

isaak wrote:
One of those is an experience certificate. we don't have these in the UK, i would've thought they would ask for reference letters, which i have.

They want reference letters too. Coming from the US, I had never heard of Letters/Certificates of Experience either. But, you really need to go back to ex-employers and get these (read Nomad's linked thread) because your pay level will be based on them at many, if not most, employers in the Middle East.

VS
Tazz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TATI will deal with the spousal visa stuff-you just supply whatever documentation they ask for......just be prepared to come here solo for first couple of months to get 'established'-also, if you are headed to the Omani interior, and most of TATI positions are at these interior colleges, research/ think/ discuss the reality of your wife and child residing in these places. Most of the teaching staff at the interior colleges are Indian or pakistani-they have their own communities, support networks and indian schools to send their kids
balqis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you consider in the future working in other Gulf countries or KSA, you will need these experience letters in many Gulf places these days.
Also, consider yourself lucky if TATI make do with just the original letters, and not their properly attested notary versions.

Reference Letters recommend you and are issued by your academic peers/bosses, whereas Letters of Experience are regular HR documents, which merely state that you worked for a given institution, at a given period of time, at a given position, and at a full/part time mode. They are used to prove your track record and based on them your rank/salary will be calculated. It is HR's duty to issue such a document, whereas colleague/boss may refuse a reference letter.
isaak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice. Am currently exploring ways of getting these experienced certificates. I have sent TATI other docs to stall them as I need time to gather these certs from previous employers who have never heard of them but are willing to give me something similar. Don't know how these things are supposed to look like as I don't have the formats but hoping for the best.

Tazz is it unusual for western teachers to bring their families. Also I won't need schooling for my kids as of yet since they're toddlers.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my interior town yes. Quite a few 'couples' here teaching together, but I've only ever encountered one or two male teachers who brought wives and young children here..... and they didn't stay for long. It wouldn't be an easy existence for the spouse and child- all round primitive nature of the place would be deterrent enough for many.......
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isaak wrote:
Don't know how these things are supposed to look like as I don't have the formats but hoping for the best.

An employment verification letter must be on letterhead and signed by a representative of the company/institution. It includes the following:
    Date the letter was issued
    Referencing your name; your title; your official start and end dates; number of hours worked per week; your salary (optional); and a brief description of your responsibilities
    The company/institution's representative typed name, title, email address, and phone number
    The rep's signature
balqis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz, if I may, means deep interiour of Oman, but Tati may post you to locations which are quite family-friendly, so a lot depends where your luck throws you to.
In general, Oman is undeveloped, and certain of its locations where the CAS/MoHE colleges are, are darn-undeveloped, say Oman of the XIX century, with sites, quite numerous there, which to my eyes look like the Palestine of Herod and Pilatus.
This, by the way, is why Oman is so highly reputed, unique, and worth any effort and money, well to my eyes at least.
But for a wife and a small child these remote locations, where there is no sewage proper and water is delivered by trucks, may not be bearable, or bearable on the edge only, especially if she is a downtown woman.

balqis
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was intending to relocate here accompanied by wife and young child, or child of any age, I wouldn't consider anywhere other than Muscat, Sohar, and maybe Salalah......
isaak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
isaak wrote:
Don't know how these things are supposed to look like as I don't have the formats but hoping for the best.

An employment verification letter must be on letterhead and signed by a representative of the company/institution. It includes the following:
    Date the letter was issued
    Referencing your name; your title; your official start and end dates; number of hours worked per week; your salary (optional); and a brief description of your responsibilities
    The company/institution's representative typed name, title, email address, and phone number
    The rep's signature

Thank you this is helpful.

Balqis and Tazz I was thinking salahlah actaully due to its greenery and natural beauty also as an opportunity to save money. Surely these things outweight everything else also there must be other things to do for families. I chose muscat as a last option purely because It will be hard to save money there. Ps I hope salaha doesn't have sewege issues. Also does it have a fairly decent mall. I would definitely not go to ibri or ibra no way.
balqis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salalah will be fine and all will agree with it. It is a resort destination for Arabs from many Gulf countries, who flock the place during its rainy season.

I would also recommend Nizwa, a beauty for a taste quite acquired, though many would disagree. Nizwa is civilised with sewage and water, but a place mostly for lovers of the Old Traditional Arabia, rather than sea/nature lovers. Nizwa does have its Lulu mall though.

balqis
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi isaak,

There is certainly a lot of natural beauty around Salalah, but, the "greenery" only really happens during the kareef. I'm on my second year here now and I've only really seen the tail-end of the kareef as that's when we take annual vacation. It's still nice for a few weeks after coming back though. There are no sewerage issues that I'm aware of and the Salalah Gardens Mall is pretty good. Good luck!
isaak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Balqis and 1st Sgt Wales.

I have just sent off all the requested docs including the certificates of experience. They responded by confirming they've recieved my stuff but not much else was said on the email. Can someone tell me what's the procedure with TATI they sent me an email about the package asking if I agree with it which was fine however shouldn't they let me know when the interview is etc? Or give me a clue in the email as to what's next rather then simply 'we recieved your docs thanks'. How long does this take usually? I don't want to get my hopes up!
balqis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reputation of TATI is not exemplary, though a number of posters here claim, if I remember it rightly, they are fine. Yet certainly they may be disorderly, and this I heard from many people who dealt with them. They once sent me a job offer with no prior interview, for example. Hope someone with more knowledge on TATI will tell you more.

The way the employment with MoHE/CAS colleges in Oman works looks in theory as follows:

1. The agencies select best applications suiting the jobs advertised.

2. Then they present these applications to the colleges which you have selected as your best locations.

3. The next move belongs to the colleges of your choice.

4. Their HoDs review applications recommended by the agency and select their own best choices, and next they ask for an interview.

5. Then the agency returns to you, if you are shortlisted by the college, and fixes the timing between the HoD and you. And so you have your interview, if luck wills to strike you [ Oman is a dream destination of so many people, and in my opinion justifiably it is so].

The procedure may take some time, I mean at least a few more days, if the college is in a hurry to hire new faculty and there is no vacation on the way.
It may though take longer, if they are not rushed to hire, but for example are slowly recruiting for the next semester.

A decent agency would inform you about all that I am telling you - I obtained the above explanation from the agency I was once dealing with.

Luckily, there are other agencies recruiting the faculty for the MoHE/CAS colleges in Oman, such as Hawthorn, Globenet or Al Nawa, and some others too, but their names slipped my memory.

balqis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: