Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American University of Sharjah
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
withnail

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: American University of Sharjah Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I've just seen the job ad for The Department of Writing Studies at The University of Sharjah.

I would be very grateful if any of you guys could share anything at all about this position/institution:)

Yours gratefully
Withnail
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: American University of Sharjah Reply with quote

withnail wrote:
I've just seen the job ad for The Department of Writing Studies at The University of Sharjah.

I would be very grateful if any of you guys could share anything at all about this position/institution:)

Assuming you're referring to the American University of Sharjah (there's also a University of Sharjah, unrelated to AUS), what specifically are you asking in terms of the university that's not already posted on AUS' website?
withnail

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. AUS. The American University of Sharjah.

Just wondered if it has a good reputation among those who have worked there?

Also about the city itself. Impressions/opinions?

I've been reading this forum extensively and thinking of making the move to the UAE.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Living in Sharjah for an unbiased perspective of Sharjah.

As for AUS, it was discussed in American University Sharjah. Expect competition for that position to be strong given that the big three UAE government universities will be phasing out their English prep year programs in about 18 months.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that I would consider it the best university in the Gulf... best pay and benefits... and it has always been the hardest place to get a position. The students are a mix of nationalities and since their parents are paying expensive tuition, they are mostly harder working that the average Gulf university student.

This is not an EFL related job, but for credit courses for first year students. Most of the faculty in this department have PhD's and those with MAs will usually have many years of experience teaching Academic Writing to Arabic speakers.

Just be aware that the competition will be very strong, so this is what your CV will need to compete with...

VS
withnail

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the insight guys - I think I have a shot at it but I can see it is ultra competitive.

Me:
Single/British/46 years old
BA (English Lit); Grad Dip TEFL; MA TESOL
Final year PhD (ABD) in Applied Linguistics (Lancaster, UK)

19 years TESOL exp; 7 years at the University level in South Korea
Worked in 7 countries: inc 7 years in London / 10 years in South Korea
5 years straight on University EAP/5 years Post MA University Experience

MA & Doctoral work is on Second Language Writing
The job is Teaching Composition.

However - No academic publications yet & never worked in the UAE before.

I wonder if I could get it.
I wonder if they'd let me live in Dubai and commute to Sharjah.
I wonder if they offer a housing allowance. /I wonder what their salary might be..

Thank you very much to nomad soul & veiledsentiments. Love your posts on this forum.

Outstanding:)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

withnail wrote:
However - No academic publications yet & never worked in the UAE before.

I wonder if I could get it.
I wonder if they offer a housing allowance. /I wonder what their salary might be.

Your biggest challenge could be this, which you'll need to clearly address in your application packet: "In addition, candidates should have both a minimum of three years' experience teaching composition in North American-style higher education and overseas teaching experience." I'm sure having technology skills is important as well.
Good luck!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if they offer a housing allowance. /I wonder what their salary might be..

They have on campus furnished housing which is quite nice. You would need to ask about a housing allowance in lieu. Personally, living in Dubai and commuting to Sharjah would be a twice a day nightmare. The traffic is horrendous. For first time residents in the UAE, I'd take on campus housing for the first year if offered, and scope out the situation for perhaps the next academic year.

You should be competitive. NS mentioned one lack - North American style composition course experience, but I see that there are Brits on the current faculty as I passed through the faculty list. You need to stress in your application your experience at tertiary level writing. Also, unlike the past, MAs are the majority rather than PhDs. So, your almost completed PhD would be a point in your favor. The other negative for you is that there are currently a large number of teachers in the job market with extensive tertiary experience in the UAE. (10+ years)

Definitely worth taking the time to apply though... Good Luck and come back and let us know if you make the cut. Cool

VS
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion. I helped onboard a lady at the BC who had just come from teaching at American uni Sharjah. I had no idea at the time that it was such a plumb job; she didn't talk much about it, but neither did I ask. Sounds like she made a mistake in leaving it.
teacherofenglish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Personally, living in Dubai and commuting to Sharjah would be a twice a day nightmare. The traffic is horrendous."

What are you talking about??? Travelling from Dubai to Sharjah each today goes against the traffic and is no problem. Lots of people I know do it - as do I.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A matter of opinion, of course. Depends on how much time every day one wants to spend in traffic. My preference is zero... Laughing especially the ghastly traffic anywhere in Dubai, my absolute least favorite city in the whole Middle East.

VS
teacherofenglish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. I was just pointing out that your facts are wrong. Couldn't really care where your favourite place is in the Middle East...really doesn't bother me. All the original poster needs to know is that Dubai to Sharjah and back in the morning is about a 20 min drive with very little traffic as it's all going the other way.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Couldn't really care where your favourite place is in the Middle East...really doesn't bother me. All the original poster needs to know is

The OP specifically invites opinions and impressions about the city, which would imply that impressions of commuting are relevant to him/her.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacherofenglish wrote:
All the original poster needs to know is that Dubai to Sharjah and back in the morning is about a 20 min drive with very little traffic as it's all going the other way.

Seems a bit of a stretch to suggest that every location in Dubai is a 20 minute drive from the AUS campus... didn't realize that Dubai had become so tiny.

Oddly it is usually teachers located in Dubai that are desperately looking for affordable housing in Sharjah... and dealing with the nightmare traffic flow.

VS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: American University of Sharjah Reply with quote

As for commuting time:
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with VS. Based on many personal experiences, getting from point A in Dubai to point B in Dubai could take more than 20 minutes, as there is always construction and detours, not to mention the constant flow of lorries and taxis day and night. It COULD take 20 minutes depending on time of day as well as point of departure in Sharjah to destination in Dubai, but I wouldn't count on it with any consistency.

PS

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: