Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Koreans teaching Korean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mithridates

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Koreans teaching Korean Reply with quote

When I lived in Japan I stayed in a number of small cities here and there; they all had some sort of international centre or community centre where one could learn Japanese from a volunteer tutor, or an extremely cheap class funded mostly from the municipal or prefectural government. The JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) is also well-advertised and many people study for it. Most cities have a centre where one can place ads for teaching & tutoring, language exchanges and the like. It was in Fu kuoka (If I write Fu-ku-o-ka as one word it turns into *beep*) where I first started learning Korean from some friends I met there as well as radio that came over from Busan. Then with a smattering of Korean grammar I decided to spend a few months in Seoul.
However, from what I've seen I'd have to give Korea a two or three on a scale of ten for promoting their language. Most people I talked to had an attitude of assuming that Korean would be too difficult, so why bother trying to teach it? I didn't notice any free Korean classes or any good international centres in Seoul either (though I've only been there four months so I'm not quite sure if this is true). I've also noticed a paradox where Hangul is praised as being an easy-to-understand, scientifically created script, but at the same time, well, Korean's just too hard to learn so why bother trying?
This is the impression I got. Anybody have a different one, or find a good centre like the ones above where one can learn Korean for free, have language exchanges and the like?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a place in Daehangno that has free classes on tues/thurs/sat but I can't remember the name or location. There is also a place somewhere near Ewha front gate that does the same thing.

I have a friend who is B'ahai and he told me that the B'ahai center offers free language classes. I'm sure though that you have to hear some sort of evangelistic thing.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, B'ahai aren't very preachy.
JackSarang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are numerous free classes. Also, if you look at the Korea Herald web site, under Korean Lessons, you'll find numerous people offering their time to teach you Korean. Usually for free, but wanting "language exchange" you improve their English, they teach you Korean. Or you can pay. Usually pretty cheap too. There are also numerous hogwans where you can take language lessons, but these are often pricey.

Check out the Korea Herald website, and you'll see ads for all your options... free, language exchange, paid tutors etc.
mithridates

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I think I gave the wrong impression...I'm more curious as to how good Koreans are in general at promoting their language. Korea seems to me to be lacking in structure for promoting immigration as well as the teaching of their language. If I were to be negative I might express it as a kind of...teach us English, get your money and get out...kind of attitude towards foreigners, and it doesn't seem to cross most people's minds that someone might actually want to live in Korea forever.
Forever...
!
antiamerican

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
Whoops, I think I gave the wrong impression...I'm more curious as to how good Koreans are in general at promoting their language. Korea seems to me to be lacking in structure for promoting immigration as well as the teaching of their language. If I were to be negative I might express it as a kind of...teach us English, get your money and get out...kind of attitude towards foreigners, and it doesn't seem to cross most people's minds that someone might actually want to live in Korea forever.
Forever...

I couldn't agree more. Before I came to Korea I went to the library to get a few Korean language books. How many did I find? One.

In contrast, Japanese books were seen by the dozens.

No, the language isn't promoted here, nor is internationalization. You usually have to hook up with a hagwon worker to teach you.

What's funny, is that Koreans think it's unfair more people don't speak Korean, believing all the while that in the future, Korean should and is going to be a world language.
!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: