Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sunday night news show on Illegal ESL teachers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inkoreaforgood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Sunday night news show on Illegal ESL teachers Reply with quote

This sunday, one of the Korean news programs are doing a show on illegal teachers here in Korea. It's on MBC at 9:45 pm. Should be worth checking out, even if you don't understand everything being said.
just because

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it will change anything?????

Anyhow....I'll be watching.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the Korea title is something along the lines of "Bad Foreign Teachers Caught On Tape"

I agree that they need to crack down on illegal teachers, but at the same time, a program like this makes EVERYONE look bad.

That's just what we need.

You can thank the Korea media for their biased reporting.
inkoreaforgood

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milwaukiedave wrote:
I'm sure the Korea title is something along the lines of "Bad Foreign Teachers Caught On Tape"

I agree that they need to crack down on illegal teachers, but at the same time, a program like this makes EVERYONE look bad.

Let's watch it first before we decide they're all bad...
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milwaukiedave wrote:

I taught parttime in a kiddie hogwan once that broadcast live the teaching into the teachers lounge.. Shocked

I wonder how many countless other teachers have been filmed and kept.
PolyChronic Time Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiiigooo! if this is aother "Typical Korean media" who wants yet another slice of "those bad foreign people" coverage" they need to get a life and film something worthwile. It might provoke those stupid college students and bitter ajeoshis in another laughable protest outside City Hall to deport those "illegal bad, bad teahcers" Rolling Eyes
My God, hopefully it's not another bad documentary after with that-one-website talk.
I say if they do that...then it would be funny to "videotape" Koreans in their unfashionable behavior (ajeoshi's going to the red rooms, so forth)...wouldn't that be fun to send that to Western media...of course they would probably try to sue us or hold another mindless riot because we are making their hermit, xenophobe kingdom look bad.
This is truly ridiculous...it seems like they are trying to pick up ANY bad thing about foreigners...next documentary will be about those "bad" foreigners who don't like gimbap, or don't hold a glass with two hands when being offered a drink.
Blind Willie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be the devil's advocate or anything, but those MBC documentaries are also filled with Korean people being bad to each other as well.

Last time I watched one, it was about grown men who abuse their parents... usually to the point where you have an 80 year old woman in the hospital with broken bones and very ugly bruises on the side of her head.

Sensationalism sells commercials.
phaedrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just in case anyone in Korea missed all the internet stuff, this filled them in.
just because

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't as bad as i expected.

it did make some good points about illegal teachers and how they need to get the system cleaned up.

Couldn't help themselves showing these pictures of Hongdae though.

The poor ol Canadains got an absolute roasting, and made out to be some shocking teachers.
inkoreaforgood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just watched it. Surely put us in a bad light. Did you notice how all the recruiters identities were not revealed, but there was no reason given why the newscast protected their identity? I believe recruiting is illegal here. Nice of them not to mention that in the newscast.

Feel bad for the foreign guy who showed his face. He was as nervous as hell, and didn't really say anything shocking.

Oh well, I guess it's going to be a crappy year here.
McNasty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkoreaforgood,
Quote:
Feel bad for the foreign guy who showed his face. He was as nervous as hell, and didn't really say anything shocking.

How about the guy whose name appeared on the immigration application form. Pretty sure that was illegal(to show his name and DOB) and that job site(on the the program) is sure to be getting plenty of hits for a while.

As for the phony degrees, the employers should share the blame with the people pulling the scam(guilty by association).
The recruiters play a major role in bringing in illegal teachers and should pay a price for it as well.

Also, according to their recruiter source the demand calls for 30,000 teachers a year, which they claim is an impossible number to acquire legally(qualified teachers). So, they HAVE to bring in illegals to reach the quota. What a bunch of crap!

Did anyone notice that according to the news source recruiters get a mil for male foreigners and 1.2-1.5 for females. Ouch! Crying or Very sad