Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest announcement of EPIK policy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
2,300 native Koreans, not gyopos. They want people who can fully comprehend the next ministry directives and teach the way ministry wants them to. 2,300 is a small number. They'll try their best and will get written warnings, and probably find something better to do before the eight years are up.

If they are Korean teachers who speak English, it probably is destined for failure. The temptation is just far too great to switch to Korean, especially dealing with some bratty kid who causes disruptions.

However, that gyopo idea is interesting. As long as English is their main language and their Korean isn't as good as their English.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poker wrote:
http://koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2960872&cloc=joongangdaily

Ah, there is some miscommunication somehwere..... why did Yonhap put in the word 'native'... maybe they want Gyopos?

The word "native" is not in the article...unless they pulled it.

EDIT: Sorry, not in the OP's link. Your link is more clear that they won't be NETs.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeanie_n wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
And I've been reading (without any proof, mind you) that EPIK now requires CELTA's.

Somebody is either:

A. Telling lies to sell CELTA certificates
B. Isn't going to find enough teachers to fill classrooms that have a CELTA, thereby will have to waive this unproven new "rule."

Of course, we hear this kind of CELTA crap every single year, and it always turns out to be false.

I am in the application process for EPIK right now and there is no requirement for a CELTA. However, they will be giving priority to applicants who hold a TEFL/TESOL Certification with a 20+ hour in class component beginning Fall 2013.

Done some checking... heard from a few important friends.

Rumor is there are some individuals working with blessings from within to provide just such a course to foreign teachers (at around 700,000 per head), and surprise, surprise... it ain't got nuttin' to do with the CELTA.

Looks like there could be another TEFL/TESOL certificate "opportunity" in the mix, and yep... people who take it will be given priority.
Guajiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Guajiro wrote:
Swampfox10mm wrote:
And I've been reading (without any proof, mind you) that EPIK now requires CELTA's.

Somebody is either:

A. Telling lies to sell CELTA certificates
B. Isn't going to find enough teachers to fill classrooms that have a CELTA, thereby will have to waive this unproven new "rule."

Of course, we hear this kind of CELTA crap every single year, and it always turns out to be false.

Where did you read this? Can you provide a link?

You mean you can't remember your own posts?

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2825668

Quote:
As I stated in a previous thread recently about TEFL certification, public schools in Korea are beginning to demand at least 20 in-class certification hours. This does not apply to hagwons, but according to the news section on the EPIK website....

That's why I asked. It is stated on the EPIK website that teachers will need to have TEFL certification with at least 20 in-class hours. You can find that in the news section. It does not say CELTA. There is a difference. I was just reporting the news. Don't shoot the messenger.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's why I asked. It is stated on the EPIK website that teachers will need to have TEFL certification with at least 20 in-class hours. You can find that in the news section. It does not say CELTA. There is a difference. I was just reporting the news. Don't shoot the messenger.

I think someone's accusing you of being a CELTA rep, spreading erroneous rumors on Dave's to bolster the numbers of people signing up and making a fat commission for yourself. Laughing
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rumor is there are some individuals working with blessings from within to provide just such a course to foreign teachers (at around 700,000 per head), and surprise, surprise... it ain't got nuttin' to do with the CELTA.

That's great as long as they tell anyone who asks that the qualification will be useless outside of Korea.
isitts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Done some checking... heard from a few important friends.

No you haven't.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
andrewchon wrote:
2,300 native Koreans, not gyopos. They want people who can fully comprehend the next ministry directives and teach the way ministry wants them to. 2,300 is a small number. They'll try their best and will get written warnings, and probably find something better to do before the eight years are up.

If they are Korean teachers who speak English, it probably is destined for failure. The temptation is just far too great to switch to Korean, especially dealing with some bratty kid who causes disruptions.

However, that gyopo idea is interesting. As long as English is their main language and their Korean isn't as good as their English.

Our notions of success or failure are not relevant to them. They are protecting Korean jobs. I had co-teachers who spoke perfect English,

but would teach almost exclusively in Korean. They simply don't

realize that using English as much as possible in the classroom is a

benefit, not a hindrance.
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
They are protecting Korean jobs. I had co-teachers who spoke perfect English,

but would teach almost exclusively in Korean. They simply don't

realize that using English as much as possible in the classroom is a

benefit, not a hindrance.

If you're working in public schools, you have to think like a Korean. Thinking like a non-Korean is a exceptionally huge problem to the eyes of K-teachers and K-parents.

Thanks to some backward monolithic public-level bureaucracy, you are expected to think like a Korean whether you like it or not. This is the sad thing about Korea.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree that you have to think like a Korean,

but you would do well to understand how Koreans think.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:

Could not agree more.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:

Ok, but the result is still the same.
Guajiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

I think someone's accusing you of being a CELTA rep, spreading erroneous rumors on Dave's to bolster the numbers of people signing up and making a fat commission for yourself. Laughing

So that's what it feels like to be in your shoes. God forbid I share information I found on a Korean government website.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They change their policies so frequently, these announcement are meaningless.
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.nate.com/view/20121015n13355
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: