Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what are my options?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingoisthename

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: what are my options? Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm a 22 year old Canadian college student with almost enough credits for an Associate of Arts in General Studies. I'm planning to apply to several Universities next year but I was wondering if teaching ESL in France was an option. Originally I was going to go France for 6 months through TAPIF (Teaching Assistant Program in France, or the Canadian equivalent) but I was unable to produce my long birth certificate in time. I'm a fluent French speaker and lived in a French-speaking community in Manitoba for 5 years.

Would it even be possible for me to teach ESL in Europe? I was hoping Canada's good relations with France might help. What certificate could I take? There is a CELTA certification starting in a month or two that I could take (out of town, unfortunately). Oxford Seminars is offered at the local University, is that something I could look at?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Marsupilami

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

You best bet would be to do the TAPIF. That is basically the only way for a Canadian to teach in France.

That is what I did. I am also from a small French-speaking community in MB, did a BA at BU in French and got selected to go to France. Wonderful experience.

I did not do the Celta and it was not required by France to teach there.

Good luck
firebird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to teach for a language school, you'll need a TEFL or CELTA. You could get away without having one, but you might be paid less, work in a small town (only a negative if you want to live in a large city), and/or feel unprepared to handle students.

If you do the TAPIF, you don't need a TEFL certificate because you're working in the public school system as an aide to the teacher.
firebird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to teach for a language school, you'll need a TEFL or CELTA. You could get away without having one, but you might be paid less, work in a small town (only a negative if you want to live in a large city), and/or feel unprepared to handle students.

If you do the TAPIF, you don't need a TEFL certificate because you're working in the public school system as an aide to the teacher.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Problem with this idea is that the OP can't get a work visa from a language school.
firebird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully s/he will read the other posts in this forum and find out that Canadians can get a one-year working holiday visa for France.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oxford Seminars is offered at the local University. . .

No, no, no! Forget Oxford Seminars. If you do take an OS course in spite of this advice, at least keep it off your CV. As noted above, take a CELTA or equivalent on-site TEFL course. (Minimum 120 classroom hours, at least 6 hours of supervised TP)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: