Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Teacher Certification in ESL in the USA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Getting Teacher Certification in ESL in the USA? Reply with quote

I currently have a MA in Linguistics and a TESOL certificate. I was wondering if there was any way to get teacher certification in the US (any state - but my home state is SC) in ESL. I'm not interested in trying to get certification in something like English Literature. The goal is to teach ESL to immigrant communities and programs, or at least have the certification for jobs overseas that require such certification. Does anybody know the fastest/least expensive way to try and get certification?
chinagirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: certification Reply with quote

Are you looking for an adult certification, or public school certification?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A teaching license (from your state's education department) would be needed to teach children in the US and in the better public and international schools abroad. There's also the ESL endorsement for teaching in bilingual learning environments in the US. Be aware not all international school teachers teach ESOL---that is, English is the language of instruction whether teaching content subjects such as art, math, history, P.E., communication arts, etc.

But for adults, depending on what your TESOL certificate entailed (i.e., it's equivalent to a CELTA), you're likely to already qualify for TEFL jobs overseas. However, if you believe an additional specific certificate is required for teaching adult immigrants, contact either your local TESOL affiliate or better yet, those organizations that provide ESL/literacy courses to immigrants in your area.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't say which to do. That is up to you. But, available jobs are likely more prevalent in public schools. Larger cities do have ESL schools for immigrants and holiday students - some of whom may even go on to a university program in the states. You do not need an ESL license to teach at this type school, nor a license in adult ESL to administer one of these schools. A lot of adult ESL jobs are, however, paid by the hour without benefits. Whereas public school teachers jobs has all the benefits (but all the hardships of politics).

If you were to start your own small language school, your MA as is would probably be a sufficient credential in most places to do so if that were your plan. If you stuck around someone else's ESL school for awhile you might be able to work yourself into a position.

I could see the adult ESL teaching license of being beneficial for teaching at a university. These jobs are largely adjunct paid by the hour sessional work.

I will concur that you should look at the state's requirements where you live as to how to get an ESL certification. Again, most of the jobs are in public school these days.

Have you thought of going the PhD route to be a linguistics professor?

A teaching license may be irrelevant in most cases overseas unless you were considering work at an international school, and that would be the public school ESL license and not the adult ESL license...
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
A teaching license (from your state's education department) would be needed to teach children in the US and in the better public and international schools abroad. There's also the ESL endorsement for teaching in bilingual learning environments in the US. Be aware not all international school teachers teach ESOL---that is, English is the language of instruction whether teaching content subjects such as art, math, history, P.E., communication arts, etc.

But for adults, depending on what your TESOL certificate entailed (i.e., it's equivalent to a CELTA), you're likely to already qualify for TEFL jobs overseas. However, if you believe an additional specific certificate is required for teaching adult immigrants, contact either your local TESOL affiliate or better yet, those organizations that provide ESL/literacy courses to immigrants in your area.
The main adult ESL provider in my former home city of Buffalo, NY required its teachers to have at least a graduate certificate in adult education in addition to training in TESOL.
Steinmann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold a K - 12 ESOL endorsement in one state, but that's not my primary cert.
Allthechildrenareinsane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Teacher Certification in ESL in the USA? Reply with quote

Jei wrote:
I currently have a MA in Linguistics and a TESOL certificate. I was wondering if there was any way to get teacher certification in the US (any state - but my home state is SC) in ESL. I'm not interested in trying to get certification in something like English Literature. The goal is to teach ESL to immigrant communities and programs, or at least have the certification for jobs overseas that require such certification. Does anybody know the fastest/least expensive way to try and get certification?

I believe that for most (if not all) US school districts, ESL/TESOL certification is considered an add-on or secondary certification to a teacher's primary certification in another academic subject such as English, Social Studies/History, etc. So in order for you to get state certified in the K-12 school system to teach ESL, I think you would need to obtain a primary certification in another subject first.

As for jobs teaching EFL overseas (as opposed to ESL in the US), your MA in linguistics as well as any post-MA teaching experience would be enough to be considered for EFL positions at universities in both Asia and the Middle East.
chinagirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: K-12 Reply with quote

Not sure if the OP is even interested in a K-12 cert, but it is most certainly possible to get stand alone certification in TESOL in a number of states. I have mine in NY and NC that I got by completing a master's program with licensure in New York. I think other states on the east coast have similar entry points as I remember considering Maryland and Rhode Island for graduate school. So ESL is my only certification and I can teach ESL classes in grades PK-12.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: