Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A tutor for $5!?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enstacy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: A tutor for $5!?! Reply with quote

I came across a posting on craigslist for a tutor offering their services for $5!

What the ...what!?

Is is really that bad is MX? How good can THEY be!?

I teach privates, so I don't know a lot about the online world. However, one of my older co-workers keeps sending his online savy students to ILC (International Language Connection) ... Apparently they have a fancy site similar to Dave's ...but more.... how do I say .... current, lol!
MOD EDIT
I love Dave too, tho!
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that five dollars or five pesos? Very Happy As an experienced native-speaker teacher I'm getting 200 pesos an hour which right now is about 15 US dollars. However, non-native speakers in Mexico, often Mexicans with a less than sterling command of the language, will charge a lot less. Was that offer you saw on craigslist for a native speaker teacher with experience?
enstacy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Is that five dollars or five pesos? Very Happy As an experienced native-speaker teacher I'm getting 200 pesos an hour which right now is about 15 US dollars. However, non-native speakers in Mexico, often Mexicans with a less than sterling command of the language, will charge a lot less. Was that offer you saw on craigslist for a native speaker teacher with experience?

For their sake, I'm hoping it isnt 5 pesos! haha ....
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 pesos and hour sounds about right if that was say a university student offering some tutoring for younger students. But yeah, a qualified teacher should get a lot more than that. I recently was asked to tutor a family friends' child and I offered to do it for just 100 an hour because they were friends, they were quite taken aback by that price and in the end decided it was too much. But they don't think twice in paying 200 pesos for the dentist to spend 20 minutes in a diagnostic exam just to assess how messed up your teeth are and how much he's going to charge you to fix them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: