Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer-Before-College Opportunities?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beexcellent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Summer-Before-College Opportunities? Reply with quote

Hi all!

I'm looking for a way to teach English anywhere in South America this summer.

First, the cons of my situation:
-I'm 17 (will turn 18 during the summer)
-I'm only available for a month or two during the summer
-I do not have a degree (but I will have my high school diploma)
-I can't pay for much more than a round-trip plane ticket

Pros:
-I have experience teaching English to both children and adults
-I'm willing to work for no pay (except room & board)

This is my summer before college and I'd love to spend it teaching English while improving my Spanish. I've spent hours combing the internet for a program that would be right for me but they either require volunteers to be over 18/have a degree or cost thousands of dollars that I do not have.

Do any of you know of a way I could make this happen?

Thanks so much.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not very realistic, though this is an admirable wish.

Issues:
employers won't want to be responsible for an under-age worker
one or two months isn't time to do much with a new teacher - or students
working visa likely impossible to get under these circumstances (others here will know more on this than I do)
teaching English (particularly in a new situation) takes a lot of time/energy -not really conducive to strengthening the teacher's second language

I suggest you try to volunteer at a community college or similar program in the States - or seek out a summer camp that focuses on ESL. Depending on where you are located, these are around.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I agree with Spiral, it's not really a practical plan for many reasons. If you want to improve your Spanish and you only have a month or two, you'd be better trying to get a little extra cash together and make a study holiday of it instead. You might be able to do some volunteering once you are in country. But no-one is going to pay you or cover your bed and board for teaching.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chip in with the 3rd 'not a practical plan' comment.

If you can find a good summer ESL program in the US with international dimensions, you could start networking there for future overseas positions if that is a direction you'd like to go in.

Best of luck to you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
beexcellent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I didn't think of helping out at ESL summer programs here in the states -that might be a good transition.

In the meantime, if you come across/think of a program for teens to teach English abroad that has no tuition and room and board included (however likely that is Smile ), I'd love to hear about it.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Try.. Reply with quote

Amigos de las Americas. For a fee you get placed with a family and an American partner; you do a volunteer program in a (usually) rural village. Your family feeds you. You don't need a visa, to be 18 or to have any work experience..you just need to know at least a small amount of Spanish.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amigos de las Americas is an excellent longstanding program. Rotary international also has summer programs ( I spent a summer in Merida, Mexico with them when I was 17.) Amerispan is another good organization with a long a solid reputation.

You can also explore the links on this site http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/
You will find opportunity where you make a minimal investment, like your flight and they pay the rest.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you've already gotten some great advice. If you decide to further explore options at home, I'd suggest checking with local school districts--especially those that have high ELL populations--regarding their summer programs. Intensive English Programs (IEPs) at local colleges or universities would also be a good option.

EDIT: A final option that comes to mind are local adult ESL programs. You might investigate and see if any of them need volunteer tutors or, possibly, would be willing to work with you to set up a short summer internship.

Good luck! Please keep us posted on how things work out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: