Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I take a job in WITHOUT returning home first?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Where can I take a job in WITHOUT returning home first? Reply with quote

When I took a job in Oman, I was able to leave my current job in Malaysia and fly to Oman directly. I didn't need to visit an embassy in American or anything else that required me to head home first. Does it work that way with Saudi? The other ones?
revilo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Saudi is more complicated Reply with quote

Saudis want a full physical exam done by a licensed physician and they have their own forms for the doctor to sign. they also want a police report done in your home country. They also want verification that your MA degree or BA degree was done at a brick & mortar university, so you will have to submit a verification form to your uni and they send it to the KSA cultural mission.

In any event, plan on returning to your home country to do lots of paperwork. Find a cheap place to stay while you run around chasing documents. Like Scot47 said, "choose your master very carefully in Saudi because you jump thru a lot of hoops to get there and once you leave, the door is shut for 2 years."
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Where can I take a job in WITHOUT returning home first? Reply with quote

As I recall, you're completing an MA online. Keep in mind that the governments of Qatar, KSA, and Kuwait do not recognize degrees that entailed online/distance coursework---you won't be approved for a work visa if that's your qualifying degree. That means you'd have to try to get hired based on your BA (if it was completed on campus), which would still put you out of the running for Qatar and Kuwait because a minimum relevant MA is required.

That's not the case with the UAE; it recognizes relevant MAs from accredited universities---online or on campus. However, you'd also need at least 3 years of tertiary experience (gained post-MA) to compete with the limited number of university positions open.

That apparently leaves KSA as your only option. There are plenty of jobs with Saudi contracting companies---some will even accept an unrelated BA. Check the Cafe's job board for requirements and make sure to research the actual employer (company) since they tend to be sketchy. But if you have BA in English or Education, you might qualify for a few direct-hire positions---maybe King Abdulaziz University or King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals. Take a look at their websites for openings.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're licensed in your own country, a public school in Taiwan would be an excellent place to teach ESL. Also you could try Korea, but you must obtain the documents (national criminal background check, 6 months recent, and apostilled notarized degree or degree copy) being licensed would also make it easier for Korea. These two countries are better than anyplace in the Middle East. The proximity to Seoul or Taipei is a hundred times better than anything you would find in the Middle East. However you need to apply to public schools to keep from getting fired at the drop of a pin, unless you are uncertain of Hogwans or Buxibons that are good schools.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-nut has multiple grievances against KSA and other GCC countries. As far as I can see he made the mistake of taking a job with a contractor, believing that a year or two picking gold off the pavements of Riyadh would ensure wealth beyond his dreams. He came 50 years too late.
revilo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: 12000? that's a record Reply with quote

You've got over 12000 posts? some cars don't even last 12000 miles.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car does not go to Beirut.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: