Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2015 Job Search Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torentosan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: 2015 Job Search Update Reply with quote

I have plenty of qualifications and experience, but after sending tons of CVs to schools in Taiwan, I have received no replies! How are most people finding work there? I am a little wary of going to Taiwan without a job in hand. For those who have been there and done that...What is your best advice? Informed and sincere answers appreciated by all...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see this thread, "Current Job Market?" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=109616)?

Plus, what specifically are your "plenty of qualifications and experience" as well as your approximate current age?
torentosan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Did you see this thread, "Current Job Market?" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=109616)?

Plus, what specifically are your "plenty of qualifications and experience" as well as your approximate current age?

Well nomad soul, I did see that thread. ..but as all of my searches turn up junk like you give, I felt the need to ask again. There is no rule against that. Also, did you not see this in my post "Informed and sincere answers appreciated by all..." Obviously not.
Also, if you do not know what "plenty of qualifications and experience" means, You have no business answering any questions on this forum , much less teaching anywhere.
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you'll find this a bit more useful. The job market seems to be a bit tight in Taiwan, and has been for awhile I think. This plan may not appeal to you but I'll suggest it anyway. You could find a job in the Mainland, and during a holiday break take a hop over to Taiwan to do a job search in person. If you find something and you time it properly you could then make a relatively easy move to Taiwan. If you choose to do this then I'd suggest working in Guangdong province because a. there are loads of jobs, and b. getting to Taiwan from there is more convenient. If you're not getting any replies from Taiwanese employers and you want to work I don't see a lot of other options really. Good luck anyway.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torentosan wrote:
Well nomad soul, I did see that thread. ..but as all of my searches turn up junk like you give, I felt the need to ask again. There is no rule against that. Also, did you not see this in my post "Informed and sincere answers appreciated by all..." Obviously not.
Also, if you do not know what "plenty of qualifications and experience" means, You have no business answering any questions on this forum , much less teaching anywhere.

There was a reason I was asking. The school that a friend of mine works at will have two openings in a month. But since you're not interested, I'll pass the referral to others.
torentosan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
torentosan wrote:

There was a reason I was asking. The school that a friend of mine works at will have two openings in a month. But since you're not interested, I'll pass the referral to others.

I did not ask anyone for anything other than to give an opinion on whether I should come to Taiwan before finding a job or not.

Do not posit any ideas out of your nether regions. I hope the forum police will begin to penalize such posts.
natsume

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry torentosan, with such charm and interpersonal skills, the job offers will not be far behind! Wink
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous posting history shows 5 years of undefined EFL 'experience' and what is apparently a US state teaching license in something. Plenty, obviously. Well, for some gigs in some countries.

How dare we ask further, or offer actual leads?!
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2015 Job Search Update Reply with quote

torentosan wrote:
I have plenty of qualifications and experience, but after sending tons of CVs to schools in Taiwan, I have received no replies! How are most people finding work there? I am a little wary of going to Taiwan without a job in hand. For those who have been there and done that...What is your best advice? Informed and sincere answers appreciated by all...

First of all, having "plenty of qualifications" in Taiwan means jack shit. Most schools have never heard of the CELTA. Many buxibans are only looking for a white face to impress the locals. It's all about impression management. This incidentally is why there are so many bad foreign English teachers in Taiwan: They are not teachers at all but backpackers passing through hoping to make a few bucks to fuel their next trip. My guess is that the schools are not replying to you because you are TOO qualified and your presence would make other Taiwanese teachers feel insecure. My advice is give Taiwan a miss and look elsewhere. Even if you land a job, it'll only be enough to live on, especially if you're living in an expat ghetto like Tienmu in Taipei which is very expensive.
Akisan2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Taiwan for only 2 years and saw plenty of stuck up individuals already. You are not too far behind with your tone and apparent animosity towards people asking you legit questions to help you further. Rolling Eyes

Have you tried tealit? You can post your CV and search for employers seeking teachers throughtout Taiwan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: