Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

18000HKD no housing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: 18000HKD no housing Reply with quote

Hello, Ive been seeing a lot of jobs offering 18k with no housing. Realistically what life could one have providing that one doesn't hit central HK island for drinking every weekend?

Thanks
oxi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd find that close to impossible. Accommodation costs would eat up so much. Maybe ok with free housing.

Where is the job and where would you be prepared to live? If you're working way out, living way out, and hardly ever come to Central - in Yuen Long for example, might be possible. I don't see much chance of saving anything though.
CEB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have roommates, you would probably still spend about 1/3 of that on rent. I couldn't do it either.

If you are applying from overseas then you should be able to find a place that provides shared accomodation or a modest housing allowance at the very least.

A quick search on here shows a kindy offering $20,500 starting salary plus free accomodation. $18,000 by comparison sounds pretty low.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18K without housing is doable but you would have to adjust your expectations accordingly. Probably means living far out in the NT or flat sharing in town. Go over to Geoexpat and there are plenty of threads with information on living frugally here.
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't do it, but if you're single and share a flat, then it's just about doable but that's all.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many tutors / teachers start on this level of income. I did it myself (although several years ago). It's important to remember that most are doing this to gain experience / qualifications and will quite quickly improve their income level after completing their first year / contract.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: