Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Montreal and Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Montreal and Canada Reply with quote

Does anyone know current rates for teachers ın Montreal and also ıf there ıs work? Whıch cıty ın Canada offers most TEFL job opportunıtıes

Thanks
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other cities in Quebec or any Canadian city? Also, are you a Canadian citizen? If not, then your options will be limited.
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Canadian passport. Whıch of the maın cıtıes have most work?

Thanks
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot_spencer wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Vancouver seems to have a lot; if not the city with the most work, it's got to be high on the list. Lots of TESL chat/activity in Toronto, but I don't know if that translates into jobs or not.

spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a couple of years since I scouted the Toronto scene, but back then there was work. Mostly part time and low-paid, though. Very few full time contracts out there. The competition is extremely high and overseas experience not especially valued.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently escaped Montreal after several years there!

There is plenty of work for ESL instructors in Montreal, as long as you understand that you are dealing with primarily business clientele. The majority of people in the Montreal area are already functionally bilingual (if not anglophone), and require fine-tuning and polishing, rather than basic English instruction. Hours are typically business hours, lunches, and evenings. Factory contracts are common - you get sent into a factory town like Boucherville, and teach at chicken plants or whatever (you'll be helping the management staff or lower management that deals with customer service).

I have several friends with ESL businesses (way out on the south shore though), and they have a lot of trouble finding staff to teach the business nights. If you can do those, great! Look at the cote-des-neiges area for actual English language schools if you want, but business contracts are where most of the jobs are.

Children learn through immersion starting in kindergarten, so the market is quite a bit different than other parts of the world. Allophones (first language is not French or English) are required to attend French schools. Some parents will pay for private English lessons outside of school hours.

The pay is awful! Maybe $20-25/hour if you have a directly-related degree? But the COL is not bad either.

Go to Quebec City for even higher demand, but both are good.

That being said - it will be expected that you are bilingual to a minimum of high-intermediate. No French, no job.

Last edited by santi84 on Thu May 07, 2015 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
santi84

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
elliot_spencer wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Vancouver seems to have a lot; if not the city with the most work, it's got to be high on the list. Lots of TESL chat/activity in Toronto, but I don't know if that translates into jobs or not.

It has a decent amount of jobs, but they are McJobs, and unsustainable for anyone but a college student.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: