Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you choose CELTA, Trinity, or SIT for your TESOL cert?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Would you choose CELTA, Trinity, or SIT for your TESOL cert? Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
CELTA. Because it's the one that requires no explanation; almost every reputable employer almost everywhere will recognize this one as the standard for entry level gigs.

Following up on Spiral's answer to this question over on the China forums, would an SIT TESOL Certificate be of any use for finding entry-level TEFL work in Europe or is the CELTA so ubiquitous that even a "brand name" cert like SIT would be considered second tier?

If I were to choose or recommend a certificate program today, I would go with the SIT TESOL certificate because I like SIT's distinctive pedagogical approach to teaching ESL. That being said, it would be helpful to know if having an SIT certificate would put one at a disadvantage compared to job seekers with a CELTA in the European market.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not. The issue is that the applicant for a job would have to make very clear in his/her cover letter and CV that the course is equivalent to a CELTA on the chance that a potential employer is not familiar with SIT.

There are lots of generic courses over here with lower recognition factors than SIT, and most employers do accept them - it's just a matter of making sure they are clear what you've got.

Online/short courses are basically useless here.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Probably not. The issue is that the applicant for a job would have to make very clear in his/her cover letter and CV that the course is equivalent to a CELTA on the chance that a potential employer is not familiar with SIT.

There are lots of generic courses over here with lower recognition factors than SIT, and most employers do accept them - it's just a matter of making sure they are clear what you've got.

Online/short courses are basically useless here.

Thanks for the clarification, Spiral!
barabbas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you buy Pepsi if given the choice?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SIT TESOL cert is US based and is 130 hours with 6 hours of observed teaching.

SIT is explicitly based on John Dewey's Experiential Learning theories. It does not offer special interest sessions that CELTA does, such as CALL, Business or Young Learners.

It is a Pass-Fail course with no grades. If you fail you are given a Letter of Learning rather than a certificate.

Make your choice.....
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA or Trinity TESOL are still the ones to go for when all is said and done. Both are well recognised and accredited. Often, people will go for location and price when doing one of the above...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
CELTA or Trinity TESOL are still the ones to go for when all is said and done. Both are well recognised and accredited.

FYI: SIT TESOL is through the School for International Training (SIT) Graduate Institute, which is a US-accredited graduate education institution that offers master's degrees and graduate certificates. SIT has been around for 50 years---initially, most of its students were Peace Corps volunteers returning from abroad. For a list of SIT Graduate Institute's programs, see http://graduate.sit.edu/sit-graduate-institute/sn/degree-and-certificate-programs/
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

SIT has been around for 50 years---initially, most of its students were Peace Corps volunteers returning from abroad.

And before that they developed the program that trained the Peace Corps volunteers before they left for their assignments abroad. Or at least SIT's parent organization at the time, The Experiment in International Living, did--founding the School for International Training a few years later.

currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
currentaffairs wrote:
CELTA or Trinity TESOL are still the ones to go for when all is said and done. Both are well recognised and accredited.

FYI: SIT TESOL is through the School for International Training (SIT) Graduate Institute, which is a US-accredited graduate education institution that offers master's degrees and graduate certificates. SIT has been around for 50 years---initially, most of its students were Peace Corps volunteers returning from abroad. For a list of SIT Graduate Institute's programs, see http://graduate.sit.edu/sit-graduate-institute/sn/degree-and-certificate-programs/

As you mentioned on another thread, it really is horses for courses. SIT is not well known in Europe although it looks respectable. The OP is asking about working in Europe so CELTA or the Trinity certTESOL is the way to go if he/she has the chance..
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
As you mentioned on another thread, it really is horses for courses. SIT is not well known in Europe although it looks respectable. The OP is asking about working in Europe so CELTA or the Trinity certTESOL is the way to go if he/she has the chance..

I was simply giving more info about SIT since you and other readers may not be aware that SIT Graduate Institute is fully accredited per the US Dept. of Education.

But sure, doing a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL in country is the best option unless the job seeker already possesses a SIT TESOL, or in my case, completed a degree that included a practical component. That said, ditto Spiral's comment that applicants just need to be clear about their qualifications on their CVs.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
CELTA or Trinity TESOL are still the ones to go for when all is said and done. Both are well recognised and accredited. Often, people will go for location and price when doing one of the above...

Agreed. I found CELTA in the UK varied from 750GBP at Chichester College (the cheapest) to as much as 1500GBP at University of Liverpool! but average as around 1100GBP in most venues.

Although from what I'm led to believe, it can be cheaper to do it abroad like in Prague or Minsk, but whether the quality of the teaching is any good is debatable. I did mine at a language school, and not even 10km away a college did exactly the same, but more expensive and supposedly with less than adequate teaching.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
currentaffairs wrote:

Agreed. I found CELTA in the UK varied from 750GBP at Chichester College (the cheapest) to as much as 1500GBP at University of Liverpool! but average as around 1100GBP in most venues.

Although from what I'm led to believe, it can be cheaper to do it abroad like in Prague or Minsk, but whether the quality of the teaching is any good is debatable. I did mine at a language school, and not even 10km away a college did exactly the same, but more expensive and supposedly with less than adequate teaching.

Yes, the price can vary a lot. The qualification is the same wherever you do it. 1500 pounds seems a bit of a rip off.. Around 1100 pounds is the norm as you say.

I am quite surprised that the price has stayed the same for years. With competition you would think that it would become cheaper. But, most of the TEFL certs by IH and others are just not as well regarded.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
Gamajorba wrote:
currentaffairs wrote:

I remember when doing mine, the school I went to actually did reduce their fees by 150GBP because some element of the course was scrapped completely due to being a waste of time, or something. I can't remember what it was called, but it was around Sept '13 when it happened!

Yes, the price can vary a lot. The qualification is the same wherever you do it. 1500 pounds seems a bit of a rip off.. Around 1100 pounds is the norm as you say.

I am quite surprised that the price has stayed the same for years. With competition you would think that it would become cheaper. But, most of the TEFL certs by IH and others are just not as well regarded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: