Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle East jobs - how long to wait?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Training Centre in Jeddah used to have 40 teachers of English. Now they have ZERO and they contract in staff for short courses. These usually last for a few weeks.
nwtefl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if there are several months between initial recruitment and actually starting a job, doesn't it mean that by the time a start date is given, that the applicant will have already found a job elsewhere ? Doesn't that just backfire on the institution ? Or is someone going to sit on their hands for half a year wasting away and waiting ?

In my mind I have an endless merry-go-round where people keep getting off and new people replace them, and the start dates always come too late!
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the way it happens. Even with the better institutions, it can be a slow process. Happily for those already in employment, this acts as some sort of guarantee that they will continue in employment for some time !
hash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
So if there are several months between initial recruitment and actually starting a job, doesn't it mean that by the time a start date is given, that the applicant will have already found a job elsewhere ? Doesn't that just backfire on the institution ? Or is someone going to sit on their hands for half a year wasting away and waiting ?

In my mind I have an endless merry-go-round where people keep getting off and new people replace them, and the start dates always come too late!

You make the classic error in thinking the hiring party is truly interested in having a well run and successful ESL unit. It isn't interested - at all.

As I've mentioned many times now, ESL units in KSA are at the bottom of the organizational totem pole. They exist as the "social justice" branches of the organizations and are in place simply as a form of mendacious propaganda to keep the deadly PC elements at bay. Do you really think ARAMCO gives a hoot how effective its ESL units are? They may have originally......50 years ago or so, but for at least 20 years now, it's the place where the losers are "assigned". Even ARAMCO has had to hire "locals" to conform to new "social justice" laws.....locals that are totally unfit for even guard duty assignments. So where to put them for a couple of years? Why, the English unit, of course.

Since this is the reality, no one cares about the English teacher waiting at home for an "all aboard" call. If it happens in 2 weeks, fine. If it happens in 6 months, that's fine too. If the guy is no longer available, they can always pick one up in Thailand for a song.

Rule number 1 for ESL teachers in KSA is: You're not important. Not even minimally. I know this is real hard to accept...but it's true. It behooves you to base all your actions and dealings with KSA - from beginning to end - with that reality in mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: