Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NET acceptance?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome! If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
southerngirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back to the original purpose of the topic, I was accepted into the primary NET scheme this year...though it states that teaching credentials (QTS) are not mandatory for the primary scheme, after my interview I am hard pressed to determine how anyone who is not a qualified primary teacher would get in if all the interviewers ask same or similar questions that mine did.

And, though several sets of questions are used for the writing part of the process, anyone sans a B.Ed, PGCE/PGDE in elementary/primary education would have been unprepared for the three questions I was given...two were related to guided reading/reading comprehension and the last one was geared towards writing.

Without my teacher training, I would not have known what the interviewers where asking - and they were both very pleasant and engaging - nor would I have had any idea what information was appropriate for the written part.

I have been told by 2 friends who currently work as PNETS that nowadays a TESOL/CELTA is no longer enough to get through the screening...

Good luck!
penguin2004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was also wondering the chances of getting onto the NET scheme...

I'm UK citizen, female, early 30s.

I have a CELTA and a couple of years of TEFL experience in Europe and Asia.
Also, I have PGCE/QTS Secondary English (just achieved this, making me an 'NQT' in UK terminology).

I have a teaching job lined up here (UK) for September - I'm covering someone for maternity so this position will only last an academic year. Looking beyond that, I was wondering about the NET scheme. Am I right in thinking that if I apply in the next round I have a fair chance? Or am I deluding myself?

Also, as a single person with no dependents (who tends to live quite frugally) is there chance to save money teaching in HK? Or are those high living costs just too high even with (what seems to me to be) a decent-looking wage?
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penguin,

Despite the EDB website stating otherwise, you can actually apply to the NET Scheme at anytime because the process can take anything from a couple of months to a couple of years to complete (application form to starting work).

You are not deluding yourself but bear in mind that NET jobs are very competitive with hundreds of applicants already on the waiting list for only a handful of vacancies every year. My advice would be not to shift focus away from your UK job, but apply anyway.

re: money

You'll need rent (first month, last month and deposit as well as broker fees of half a month's rent up front). Plus gas + electricity deposits in the first instance. This is usually very expensive and can be around 50-60k. Another problem is that you'll need temporary accommodation in the month or so, which means a hotel followed by a month or so in a studio (12-15k a month). If you have friends, then of course it's cheaper. In the long run, you will make money, but stay away from the bars and long weekends in The Philippines and Thailand and Macau too for that matter.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: