Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muslim teen creates clock, shows teachers, gets arrested!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:

I disagree that high levels of alert (and the specific actions of the police involved) benefit a free society because how and when authority defines potentially dangerous can serve the consolidation of power.

Tough to find a balance there. I see your point. I was thinking of other security measures that are in the schools. If a child starting dropping hints about committing suicide, teachers would/should step in and find out what is happening with the child. Maybe that child is not actually going to committ suicide, but I would hope that an intervention system might prevent such things. Even if the system is wrong at times.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Muslim creates clock Reply with quote

Years ago I was teaching middle school ESL. We had a new male student from Jordan (Christian but as you know, with an Arabic surname) whose parents could not read English. As you know, parents are required to read and sign a number of school forms, one of which was a handbook outlining school rules. I can't recall the reg verbatim, but there was one prohibiting students from wearing any attire or carrying on their person any paraphernalia suggestive of sexual, drug-related or violent themes or inappropriate language, e.g., neck chains with a skull pendant or t-shirts splashed with expletives. So one day, diminutive 6th grader, Sami brought a small plastic water gun to school. I advised him to keep it in his locker until bus dismissal but it was too late because another teacher caught him in the hall "brandishing his weapon" at his side and marched him to the office. The police and his parents were called. This young man was expelled from school. (The water gun didn't contain any liquid.) The school administrator pointed out that although it was not a real gun, the fact that it resembled one was a violation of school policy.
A happy ending, though. Years later I ran into Sami who had finished high school and received a scholarship to college. He laughed and said he will never forget the experience with the water gun and how that motivated his parents to also learn English! Do we consider this racial profiling or an example of strict school rules that are indiscriminately enforced for the safety of all students? I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.
gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Muslim creates clock Reply with quote

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Do we consider this racial profiling or an example of strict school rules that are indiscriminately enforced for the safety of all students? I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

I wonder why these strict school rules failed to prevent real gun crimes in schools, and only report children with toys!
The problem is the loophole in the gun laws of Uncle Sam.

“What we know is that the number of people who die from gun-related incidents around this country dwarfs any deaths that happen through terrorism.” – Barack Obama
buravirgil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers now have a statutory duty to spot signs of ‘non-violent extremism’, with children as young as three being referred for anti-radicalisation. Does the policy safeguard vulnerable pupils – or discriminate against Muslims? (The Guardian)

For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone. It's often meant we have stood neutral between different values. And that's helped foster a narrative of extremism and grievance. This Government will conclusively turn the page on this failed approach.
--David Cameron, shortly after winning the election.

Meanwhile, for those who might otherwise be marching up and down a square...

"How do we solve the problem of angry, alienated radicals?"

"Anger them further, sir?"
"Alienate them some more?"
"Justify their radicalization?"
"Come at them with a pointed stick?"

"Precisely!"

The issue is profoundly divisive and whenever schools become a flash point for political issues, I'm dismayed and suspicious of agendas.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you know of anyone having negative thoughts about authority, it is your duty to report her/him to the Party or State authorities." Welcome to 1984.
Orwell's Dystopia arrived some time ago.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it to be a little off that they would go as far as arresting the student for bringing in a homemade working clock. Where does the law say its against the law to build a clock and bring it in for a science project. If the situation was staged. the school played into it perfectly.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family moving to Qatar. (USA Today)

I didn't like the police response, but I'm inclined to conclude the father's motivations are what's responsible.

Qatar's idle rich are often accused of funding radical jihadists, Saudi's as well.
Screw that and good riddance. Agitating for publicity won't be as convenient now. Maybe when the kid has some autonomy in adulthood, he'll sell a book.

I wish the tensions of the entire region could be elevated to something as harmless as publicity stunts, but alas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: