Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oregon Shooting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buravirgil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
I guess we can be grateful it wasn't a semi-automatic sword.
Reminds me of macabre, children's doggerel:
    One dark morning in the middle of the night,
    Two dead men got up to fight.
    Back to back, facing another,
    One pulled a sword and shot the other.
    The deaf policeman, who heard the noise,
    Came over to the kill the two dead boys.
    And if you don't believe my story's true,
    Ask the blind man, he saw it too.

Apologies if the association smacks of insensitivity. IMO, there's always been psychopathy, but its component of attention seeking is amplified by social networks. Yet I don't view curtailing technology as a legitmate solution. I'll predict there will be a difficult matter of monitoring networks for warning signs conflicting with freedom of expression.
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
Do you identify as a neoconservative?

No. In fact, I dislike most of the neoconservative movement. Too focused on foreign policy, specifically on the Middle East. Many of the neocons are shilling for Israel or are outright Zionists. At the detriment of the American citizens.
steki47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:
Getting back to the shootings:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34602621

Sweden sword attack: Two killed by masked attacker

So far not much has been released about the attacker.

Going back to the OP, in Japan I am seeing a pattern of young men exploding and attacking people in public. No guns, so the numbers are much lower. Yet I see the same psych pattern: a man who can't get a girlfriend, plays a lot of video games and eventually snaps and lashes out at a society that he resents.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
No. In fact, I dislike most of the neoconservative movement. Too focused on foreign policy, specifically on the Middle East. Many of the neocons are shilling for Israel or are outright Zionists. At the detriment of the American citizens.
But not American markets, or more specifically, an international class invested in those markets. So I agree, citizens are not their concern without some voodoo interpretation of "trickle down". Neocons, as I identify them, frequently conflate policy and market forces. Which was a premise of your appeal to legitimize profiling and citing insurers as support. As an ethos, I identify with libertarian notions, such as There's no government like no government, but have witnessed the dissolution of social imperatives (education, healthcare) in favor of market "solutions".
steki47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
steki47 wrote:
But not American markets, or more specifically, an international class invested in those markets. So I agree, citizens are not their concern without some voodoo interpretation of "trickle down". Neocons, as I identify them, frequently conflate policy and market forces. Which was a premise of your appeal to legitimize profiling and citing insurers as support. As an ethos, I identify with libertarian notions, such as There's no government like no government, but have witnessed the dissolution of social imperatives (education, healthcare) in favor of market "solutions".

I had some good feels toward libertarianism in my youth, but find that it can be too autistic for most humans. Individual competition is good, yes, but people are also social animals.

Back to neocons. What we are seeing is a massive disconnect between leaders and people. On a number of issues, immigration being the more obvious. Leaders in Western nations are displaying a negligence and often overt hostility towards their citizens. Something big (and probably bad) may be around the corner.
gregory999

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
2buckets wrote:
Getting back to the shootings:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34602621

Sweden sword attack: Two killed by masked attacker

So far not much has been released about the attacker.

A masked man who killed a teacher and a pupil at a school in Sweden had "racist motives", police believe
We can confirm that this was a racially motivated hate crime partially because the man chose his victims based on the colour of their skin," Mr Hallgren told Swedish Radio.

The helmet he wore was similar to German World War Two soldiers' helmets.

He was seen posing for a photograph with students, who thought he was dressed for Halloween, before going from classroom to classroom at the Kronan School.

Swedish media reports say the suspect's accounts on Facebook and YouTube suggest he had an interest in Hitler and Nazi Germany, as well as hostility to Islam and immigration.

"He was a loner. He played video games, lived in his own world," a former classmate told Expressen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34612000

Do you think the attacker inherited Hitler's genes?
I wonder if Behavioural genetics theory has an answer to this question?
I am waiting for your interpretation of the attacker's crime?

Quote:
Leaders in Western nations are displaying a negligence and often overt hostility towards their citizens.

I wonder how accurate is this statement?
Any example of 'overt hostility' towards their citizen?
steki47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that update on the Sweden incident. At the time I posted, news sources stated they had no info on the attacker. Yesterday I read he was wearing a Darth Vader mask but the photo looked more like a German helmet. Again, thanks!

I don't think genetics had much to do with this crime. Mental illness, racism, rise of the betas, we shall see.

Quote:
Quote:
Leaders in Western nations are displaying a negligence and often overt hostility towards their citizens.

I wonder how accurate is this statement?
Any example of 'overt hostility' towards their citizen?

Two recent examples:
1. http://www.dglobe.com/news/3860425-dayton-blunt-mn-forum-anyone-who-cant-accept-immigrants-should-find-another-state

Quote:
“Look around you. This is Minnesota,” Dayton said. “Minnesota is not like it was 30, 50 years ago. ... This is Minnesota and you have every right to be here. And anybody who cannot accept your right to be here, and this is Minnesota, should find another state.”

“If you are that intolerant, if you are that much of a racist or a bigot, then find another state. Find a state where the minority population is 1 percent or whatever. It’s not that in Minnesota. It’s not going to be again. It’s not going to be that in St. Cloud, or Rochester or Worthington,” Dayton said.

2. http://www.vdare.com/posts/all-disguise-cast-off-german-official-tells-germans-that-ifthey-dont-like-living-with-migrants-they-can-leave-germany

Quote:
District President of Lohfelden in the heart of Germany, telling a hall full of citizens that if they don’t like mass settlement of Muslims in the district, they should leave Germany.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=eab_1445033279

An older example, but it checks out:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2324112/Lord-Mandelson-Immigrants-We-sent-search-parties-hard-Britons-work.html

Quote:
Mr Neather said the policy was designed to ‘rub the Right’s nose in diversity’.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Gregory's challenge about genetic explanations is responding to your assertsions such as
Quote:
I would also recommend reading up racial differences in levels of testosterone (highly correlated with aggression) and intelligence (highly correlation with education, professional level, home ownership, etc). Much of the differences you have mentioned can be explained by these measurements.
Gregory999 is asserting arguments for inherited traits are conveniently and inconsistently applied.

What I find interesting about your quotes from politicians in Minnesota and Germany is they are reciprocal to past assertions from conservative factions: Love it, or leave it. Divisive language is sadly part and parcel of politics. And it's hardly progressive to echo conservative rhetoric, but it's interesting you're terming it as hostility because it signifies an identification.
steki47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
I believe Gregory's challenge about genetic explanations is responding to your assertsions such as
Quote:
I would also recommend reading up racial differences in levels of testosterone (highly correlated with aggression) and intelligence (highly correlation with education, professional level, home ownership, etc). Much of the differences you have mentioned can be explained by these measurements.
Gregory999 is asserting arguments for inherited traits are conveniently and inconsistently applied.

What I find interesting about your quotes from politicians in Minnesota and Germany is they are reciprocal to past assertions from conservative factions: Love it, or leave it. Divisive language is sadly part and parcel of politics. And it's hardly progressive to echo conservative rhetoric, but it's interesting you're terming it as hostility because it signifies an identification.

I took Gregory's challenge as being half a joke. I played into the joke by responding in mock earnest.

Yes, the parallels are there. Good point.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
I took Gregory's challenge as being half a joke. I played into the joke by responding in mock earnest.

Yes, the parallels are there.
The "joking half" regarding Gregory's address of racism or hostility?

I'm having trouble reading your response to the racial contentions as mock earnesty. I'm not sure I know what that looks like in a serious discussion, other than Oscar Wilde's works. Your references to mental illness, racism, and "rise of the betas" are authentic and relevant topics.

I see nothing in Gregory999's challenge as lighthearted, and given their prior posts, have trouble accepting your conclusion as tenable. I don't wish to fatigue, or repel, what has been a respectful exchange, but neither can I engage bad-faith arguments.

I think you're well aware what positions you've taken are not popular among a forum of teachers, typically liberal in their orientation. So fatigue may be an issue. But you've engaged secularly and rationally. I believe such debate has value. Far greater value than dismissive name calling and polemic. I think that's why the thread is still open.
steki47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
steki47 wrote:

Yes, the parallels are there.
The "joking half" regarding Gregory's address of racism or hostility?

I'm having trouble reading your response to the racial contentions as mock earnesty. I'm not sure I know what that looks like in a serious discussion, other than Oscar Wilde's works. Your references to mental illness, racism, and "rise of the betas" are authentic and relevant topics.

I see nothing in Gregory999's challenge as lighthearted, and given their prior posts, have trouble accepting your conclusion as tenable. I don't wish to fatigue, or repel, what has been a respectful exchange, but neither can I engage bad-faith arguments.

I think you're well aware what positions you've taken are not popular among a forum of teachers, typically liberal in their orientation. So fatigue may be an issue. But you've engaged secularly and rationally. I believe such debate has value. Far greater value than dismissive name calling and polemic. I think that's why the thread is still open.

By humor, I am guessing a snide swipe at me for my previous statement. If I am reading him correctly. May not matter much at this point.

Yes, I am swimming against the current here. Generally am. Oh well. The overrepresentation of political liberals in EFl make sense in many ways. The teachers I meet in Japan tend to have degrees in the social sciences and liberal arts. Conservatives (or "racist" whites) would be much less likely to move to East Asia to teach at a kindergarten or whatever.

The grand irony is that East Asians tend to be very collective,hierarchial, xenophobic/nationalism and often have more traditional gender roles. I find that culture shock hits my liberal coworkers a bit harder than it hit me.

You have responded with tact and respect and so I have reciprocated. Much appreciated, by the way. Threads that get nasty disappear around here. Fair enough.

I save my vitriol and name-calling for Facebook where the Jerry Springer methods are more appropriate.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:

A masked man who killed a teacher and a pupil at a school in Sweden had "racist motives", police believe
We can confirm that this was a racially motivated hate crime partially because the man chose his victims based on the colour of their skin," Mr Hallgren told Swedish Radio.

The helmet he wore was similar to German World War Two soldiers' helmets.

He was seen posing for a photograph with students, who thought he was dressed for Halloween, before going from classroom to classroom at the Kronan School.

Swedish media reports say the suspect's accounts on Facebook and YouTube suggest he had an interest in Hitler and Nazi Germany, as well as hostility to Islam and immigration.

"He was a loner. He played video games, lived in his own world," a former classmate told Expressen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34612000

Do you think the attacker inherited Hitler's genes?

Guy obviously has mental issues if he would think Hitler would do this. Maybe he inherited Churchill's genes, or the genes of those behind Churchill. That would be pretty convincing.
steki47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
Guy obviously has mental issues if he would think Hitler would do this. Maybe he inherited Churchill's genes, or the genes of those behind Churchill. That would be pretty convincing.

Another tangent presents itself!

Many adults can wear costumes for fun. Halloween or Star Trek conventions. Probably a healthy release for them. Those with severe cognitive distortion are likely to more heavy-handed with their role-playing. Lots of Jesuses and Napoleans in the madhouse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: