Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my work prospects in Mexico (Guadalajara)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zfoxfox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: What are my work prospects in Mexico (Guadalajara)? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

I am thinking of working as an ESL teacher in Mexico - Guadalajara specifically - but I can't find any information together in one place for newbies on the Mexican board. I have an unrelated BA and have been contemplating gaining a TEFL certificate and transitioning into TEFL teaching in Mexico. I have a few questions relating to the nature of work and how I might need to prepare:

1) Does it matter in Mexico if I apply for work with an online TEFL certificate or should I get a TEFL certificate in person? What do employers look for?

2) Can I find work with my background without ESL tutoring or ESL teaching experience? If so, what kind of work is reasonable work for a beginner? If not, what should I look to do to prepare to teach in Mexico?

3) Are Mexican language schools good places for a beginner teacher? If not what would the best institutions be to approach?

4) What are the outlets for private tutoring in terms of finding clients?

5) How complicated is the visa paperwork? Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of when filing for a working visa from within the country?

I have read several positive employment experiences from newbies teaching both with and without a TEFL certification but would love to hear more information/advice you might have on these topics.

Thank you in advance!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What are my work prospects in Mexico (Guadalajara)? Reply with quote

zfoxfox wrote:
Hello Everyone!

I am thinking of working as an ESL teacher in Mexico - Guadalajara specifically - but I can't find any information together in one place for newbies on the Mexican board. I have an unrelated BA and have been contemplating gaining a TEFL certificate and transitioning into TEFL teaching in Mexico. I have a few questions relating to the nature of work and how I might need to prepare:

1) Does it matter in Mexico if I apply for work with an online TEFL certificate or should I get a TEFL certificate in person? What do employers look for?

In terms of getting a job it won't matter a lot. But if you have no teaching experience and want to actually be able to teach, yeah, it matters a lot if you have at least some classroom experience, both in terms of the quality of classes you offer your students and to keep your sanity.

2) Can I find work with my background without ESL tutoring or ESL teaching experience? If so, what kind of work is reasonable work for a beginner? If not, what should I look to do to prepare to teach in Mexico?

Take a course with a teaching and feedback option, such as a CELTA. You could probably find a job in language school without any specific experience, as they will generally train you in their own method. Two schools you might look at in Guadalajara are Interlengua and Harmon Hall, both have been around for many, many years, and while the starting pay might not be great, you will get paid and they might help you with a visa. Or not. You won't get a job with either of these from abroad.

3) Are Mexican language schools good places for a beginner teacher? If not what would the best institutions be to approach?

See above.

Craig's List might work, advertising in Mexican online papers, Segunda Mano, etc. But you would need to have a working knowledge of Spanish to do that. Word of mouth, once you are established, extra tutoring for your students.

5) How complicated is the visa paperwork? Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of when filing for a working visa from within the country?

You have to be sponsored by a school to get a work visa. Guy will be along in a while to give you more details. I believe you need a TEFL certificate of some kind to process your visa.

I have read several positive employment experiences from newbies teaching both with and without a TEFL certification but would love to hear more information/advice you might have on these topics.

You might be able to get a job teaching content in a international or bilingual school depending on what your major was, but again, lack of teaching experience might hamper you.

Any idea where you want to live in Guadalajara? It is huge and public transport is nowhere near as good as in Mexico City. You could end up commuting for a couple of hours depending on where you live and where you work, so I would take that into consideration as well.

Thank you in advance!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immigration-wise, no it doesn't matter. If you've never taught in a classroom before, then you should do the course in person. PM me if you'd like a short list of the best locations to do that in Mexico and who to talk to.

You are limited but you will find work. Teaching English at companies is commonplace, or at language institutes, or both.

Language institutes are a good place to start. Your lack of experience excludes any kind of primary or secondary schools, and I think most unis wouldn't touch you. Think about ways to upgrade your education and continue to develop professionally if you want access to better jobs.

Social media is far and away the best place to do this. Local networking through English conversation groups is another. Writing on Dave's is yet another. Guadalajara is good for this.

Not complicated but you absolutely must have an employer sponsor you. You cannot do it from within Mexico - or rather, you at some point in the process need to leave the country to visit a Mexican consulate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: