Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

obtaining non immigrant visa from tourist visa for teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topshop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: obtaining non immigrant visa from tourist visa for teacher Reply with quote

hello can anybody tell me where to change my sixty day tourist visa obtained outside the country to a three month non immigrant visa. I have all the required docs and believe it may be possible to do this in Thailand without having to leave the country. Many thanks for advice
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be possible to do this. I did it twice back in the day, but that was about 10 years ago. So, I'm not sure about what's happening these days.

Anyway, it's worth a try. You need to go to the nearest IMMIGRATION office.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES it can be done....just contact the Immigration Office in the Big Mango...and smile! Very Happy
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
YES it can be done....just contact the Immigration Office in the Big Mango...and smile! Very Happy

1/2 untrue.

True: You CAN change a 60-day tourist visa to a non-B.

You do NOT go into the main immigration office (division 1) unless you are in their jurisdiction. You go to your local immigration office for the change of status and later for your extension.

You will need the same documents that you would need if you ran to Laos to get a new non-b.

There ARE some restrictions: YOU MUST have more than 15 days remaining on your allowed period of stay (down from the 21 that it used to be) to do the conversion. If you only have 14 days remaining then you are headed to Laos or Penang for your non-b.

The letter to immigration or the consulate has to be addressed to the correct office. If your letter from the school is addressed to the consulate in Laos you can't use it at the immigration office (and vice versa).

Shawn Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post. I am soon to be in the same predicament so thanks for this bit of information. Very Happy
topshop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: reluctance of immigration to transfer tourist visa to B visa Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. When I went to the local immigration here in South Thailand they refused to accept an application and told me I had to go to Kuala Lumpur. The Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur gave a very long list of documents required to issue the Non Imm visa for teachers three months. The school is not in agreement with the list provided by the embassy and are unwilling to provide the extra documents so I have drawn a blank.

Do not want to go to KL and be turned away. All seems very odd indeed!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, it seems like you'll need to find another school.

Second, check into going to Penang in Malaysia. There is a consulate there where everyone used to go.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: reluctance of immigration to transfer tourist visa to B Reply with quote

topshop wrote:
Thank you for the information. When I went to the local immigration here in South Thailand they refused to accept an application and told me I had to go to Kuala Lumpur. The Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur gave a very long list of documents required to issue the Non Imm visa for teachers three months. The school is not in agreement with the list provided by the embassy and are unwilling to provide the extra documents so I have drawn a blank.

Do not want to go to KL and be turned away. All seems very odd indeed!

There are several reasons why this might have happened:
(reasons are not limited to this list but they are the most common.)
1) not enough time left in your allowed period of stay.
2) in an overstay position.
3) letters of invitation addressed to the embassy in KL rather than your local immigration office. This will also be a reason to have an application declined in Penang.
4) inadequate or improper documentation for an "in-country" change of status.

MESL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Jim's visa agency on Chulia Street in Penang. Hordes of people to him for everything from visa to travel to lodging. He knows exactly what he's doing. I used him last semester. He got me a B visa with no complications whatsoever.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MESL wrote:
Try Jim's visa agency on Chulia Street in Penang. Hordes of people to him for everything from visa to travel to lodging. He knows exactly what he's doing. I used him last semester. He got me a B visa with no complications whatsoever.

That's the way it's been for years....Singapore is impossible, KL is just a little easier (but unlikely), and Penang may be better than Vientiane. How much did you pay, in addition to the 1900 thb?

The only complication I ever heard out of Penang, was someone forgetting which office they dropped their passport off at...apparently there were/are many of them, and they kind of look alike (more so after several large beers).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: