Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vinschool Hanoi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwunk89

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Vinschool Hanoi Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone have any reliable info on Vinschool? Is it a good place to work? Overall, first-hand experiences?

Thanks
Mattingly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a few people that worked there but it was last year and the year before.

(So my info may not be up to date.)

More than a few people told me the same thing.

The salary was above average.

It's managed and run by business people who have little or no experience in education.

They sent several unnecessary emails for trivial and unrelated things.

Basic communication skills were very poor.

They went through several DOS positions, as westerners who be hired and then quit rather quickly.

Perhaps someone can chime in on some current information and conditions this year.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's managed and run by business people who have little or no experience in education.

Yes, it's part of a large local corporate conglomerate. That doesn't necessarily make it bad, or at least not any worse than any of the other chains in VN, which are also run-for-profit businesses. At the same time, you'd have to expect the kind of corporate culture that Mattingly mentions.

Vingroup launches Vinschool brand

http://www.vingroup.net/en-us/news-events/press-information/pressreleases/vingroup-launches-vinschool-brand-2160.aspx
Black_Beer_Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody else share their experiences working for Vinschool?

I am considering working for them.
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattingly wrote:

They went through several DOS positions, as westerners who be hired and then quit rather quickly.

Perhaps someone can chime in on some current information and conditions this year.

Aside from poor ability, did they happen to mention what the students were like? Doubt the majorly are as studious and angelic as they look on the website, and wonder if reality is that they are spoilt with attitude in general.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bule_boy69 wrote:
Mattingly wrote:

Aside from poor ability, did they happen to mention what the students were like? Doubt the majorly are as studious and angelic as they look on the website, and wonder if reality is that they are spoilt with attitude in general.

In general, I don't recall.

I do remember some behavioral problems discussed, however.
needyreedy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently left Vinschool. It was the worst school I have ever worked at in many years of teaching.

The salary is above average, but it is not worth the stress. I would strongly advise against joining this school under any circumstances.

In fact, the school is an absolute joke run by management who know nothing about education or staffing. They are appalling - particularly, the HR department who are unfortunately seem to be blessed with low IQs and low morals.

The management do not care about providing good quality education to students. In the primary school, there is no phonics or reading programmes, no structure, no communication, no disciplinary or reward systems. There are hardly any resources, and those they do have are poor quality and unreliable. The result is mostly poorly behaved students with a very low standard of English, with some great students mixed in.

So how does management try to remedy this? By punishing the (wonderful) teachers.

They overwork them by giving them two homeroom classes (at most bilingual schools in Asia, you’ll only teach one). The literacy standards at this school are so low, one class is enough to challenge any decent teacher.

The incompetent HR department stalk teachers on CCTV and circulate images via email for minor misdemeanours, they pay you late, they are not supportive but they are quick to fire off warnings and threats. They don’t treat the staff with respect.

The staff turnover is incredibly high – partly because morale is low and partly because HR get rid of people at short notice on a whim. There is no job security. Many teachers have been forced to contact lawyers because of HR's lack of professionalism.

There are far better schools out there - be kind to yourself.
kwarning

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto needyreedy's comments without exception other than the comment re CCTV - no idea about that. Pay was quite good in relative terms but really; do yourself a favour and stay well away.
needyreedy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinschool are currently advertising for a principal on another site. The ad shows just how deluded they really are. They try to brand themselves as a ‘high-quality’ school offering a ‘world class education’… Ignore the glossy marketing: good schools treat their staff respectfully - Vinschool treats its teachers horribly. There is nothing remotely high quality or world class about these dysfunctional schools. The CEO and her pals make things up as they go along: they have to, they have no idea. The only prerequisite to getting a high level job is to be related to someone.

The overwhelming impression I got during my time at Vinschool, is that these schools are run by people completely devoid of integrity, morals and ethics. The culture of lying and shadiness was both incredible and disturbing; which makes it quite ironic, considering the prevailing values of this school, that they’re now looking for someone who can “uphold the principal-ship as a values based, ethical and moral activity” and who has “high levels of personal integrity”.

I pity the poor person who gets landed with the principal’s job and the monumental task of improving educational standards at Vinschool. Others have tried - and failed - and teachers (who usually start positively and enthusiastically, then slip into a black cloud of doom) have given suggestions - there have been brief glimmers of hope that real, positive changes might be made… then, oh, the senior management shelve these suggestions because they’re too logical or they might save time and money, they might boost morale or they might actually raise standards. The management is very short-sighted in its approach: they don’t listen to their staff, and they aren’t progressive thinkers, and their overall attitude towards staff is grim.

Honestly, this whole school is an exercise in futility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: