Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My experience moving to Vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SinaloaParcero wrote:

Life is about balance.

I agree. All things in moderation.

SinaloaParcero wrote:
I don't plan on relying on any of it. But I aint gonna live my life scared and stressed over it either.

It's not about living your life scared or stressed. It's about being prepared and having some kind of plan. It seems that you do, which is good. What's scary is that so many teachers don't seem to have any plan at all.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to JMBF, yes in addition to my main salary.

The thing is that I was somewhat lucky in getting an international school job that finishes much earlier than others. So I can have time to myself, relax, then work online in the evenings, plus I have a stacked Saturday.

I actually find that not having to prep myself and then go out makes things seem so much calmer. I can play with my dog in the class, turn on the AC and fetch drinks/snacks between classes much easier, plus if I have a 30 minute break, in a language center there may be no where to sit, but I have a huge comfy leather gaming chair that I can relax in.

Plus on a Saturday I can roll out of bed, shower, make breakfast and then be ready for class five minutes later, not, have to shower, go outside, find a cab or bus, go to the language center [possibly 15 minutes early if they have that rule] etc.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:

I actually find that not having to prep myself and then go out makes things seem so much calmer. I can play with my dog in the class, turn on the AC and fetch drinks/snacks between classes much easier, plus if I have a 30 minute break, in a language center there may be no where to sit, but I have a huge comfy leather gaming chair that I can relax in.

Plus on a Saturday I can roll out of bed, shower, make breakfast and then be ready for class five minutes later, not, have to shower, go outside, find a cab or bus, go to the language center [possibly 15 minutes early if they have that rule] etc.

Thanks for the clarification. My experience has many parallels with yours. This is why I love teaching from home. It removes so many of the aggravating factors that lead to stress and burnout. It also partly explains why I can comfortably handle 40+ teaching hours per week while others scream in horror at the thought. Having said that, it's certainly not for everybody.
SinaloaParcero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
SinaloaParcero wrote:

Life is about balance.

I agree. All things in moderation.

SinaloaParcero wrote:
I don't plan on relying on any of it. But I aint gonna live my life scared and stressed over it either.

It's not about living your life scared or stressed. It's about being prepared and having some kind of plan. It seems that you do, which is good. What's scary is that so many teachers don't seem to have any plan at all.

Yea but most teachers are young (under 30) so its not that bad. Most realize this and go back to their home country by 30 imo.
tellersquill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm literally starting out as a teacher at 30.

The rough plan is to work in Vietnam for 2 years, travel around asia during holidays, and save $3,000 per year.

Then work in South America for a year.

After that, if I still enjoy teaching, then I will do a pgce and become a fully qualified teacher.
SinaloaParcero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tellersquill wrote:

The rough plan is to work in Vietnam for 2 years, travel around asia during holidays, and save $3,000 per year.

After that, if I still enjoy teaching, then I will do a pgce and become a fully qualified teacher.

There is only 1 real holiday that would allow you to travel. Tet.

So traveling around during holidays is not very likely.

Saving 3k a year is a very low amount. You will need much more than that to fly to South America and get started there.
tellersquill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SinaloaParcero wrote:
tellersquill wrote:

Saving 3k a year is a very low amount. You will need much more than that to fly to South America and get started there.

I've a friend who landed in south America with only £1,000 when they began teaching there!

The contract I'm looking at right now (in Vietnam) offers 15 days holiday plus TET.

So I figure I can go travelling twice a year.
SinaloaParcero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tellersquill wrote:
SinaloaParcero wrote:
tellersquill wrote:

I've a friend who landed in south America with only £1,000 when they began teaching there!

The contract I'm looking at right now (in Vietnam) offers 15 days holiday plus TET.

So I figure I can go travelling twice a year.

You need to look at the specifics on the holidays. If they are random 1-2 days than traveling will be difficult.

You would need to be able to choose when and how many of those days to take those holidays (or really it would be vacation days) No other national holidays will allow for much travel.

Well yes you can land anywhere with not even a dime and survive. My point is that wouldnt be smart.

Gonna take a nice chunk of change just to get to SA.

Then you need atleast 2 months living expenses. Then you need an emergency plane ride home money. Not even mentioning any money for an accident or anything.

Not including your ticket to SA, you would want to have atleast 3k.
SinaloaParcero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

I find the Vietnam ESL scene to be rather cut throat.

My school uses a NPS (net promotor score) to access teachers and assign hours or classes. Google it.

With almost everyone working part time (no work permit process) and the steady influx of new teachers, they can drop teachers after only 3-4 months.

Seems to be much more stress than Korea where you are pretty much guaranteed hours and a job for a year.

Not sure I want to stay in this type of work environment.
tellersquill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SinaloaParcero wrote:
Update

I find the Vietnam ESL scene to be rather cut throat.

My school uses a NPS (net promotor score) to access teachers and assign hours or classes. Google it.

With almost everyone working part time (no work permit process) and the steady influx of new teachers, they can drop teachers after only 3-4 months.

Seems to be much more stress than Korea where you are pretty much guaranteed hours and a job for a year.

Not sure I want to stay in this type of work environment.

Do you not want a full time contract?

We all just signed 75hr per month contracts at $19 per hour
workingnomad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it legal to work part time with no work permit?
nnest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

workingnomad wrote:

It's not. Then again, it's illegal to teach on anything but LD (work) visa. Contract, LD visa, work permit—the only way to be legally employed. I think about 5–10% of teachers in VN have all 3.
TRH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nnest wrote:
workingnomad wrote:

It's not. Then again, it's illegal to teach on anything but LD (work) visa. Contract, LD visa, work permit—the only way to be legally employed. I think about 5–10% of teachers in VN have all 3.
Have you forgotten the combination of Contract, work permit, temporary residence card? That should be 100% legal. I worked with a contract, work permit, and 5 year visa exemption. I am not 100% sure that the last is legal, only Ivory Snow (99 44/100%) sure.
nnest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, forgot about TRCs and visa exemptions. True.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: