Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICEAT information needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the extra info, nomad soul. Any info is useful and appreciated.

The term great was meant to be taken lightly. I should have written 'great'.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depechemode....I would suggest you really try to get a handle on what living in KSA will be like for you before you accept an offer. Salary of 10,000 SAR = 2,666 USD a month hardly seems worth it for the hardship that you will likely endure living there.
Though, it may have changed since I lived there...Women were not treated very well, IMHO.
Try to PM some other female forum members to get an idea of what you might be getting yourself into.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BajaLaJaula wrote:
The hardship that you will likely endure living there.
Though, it may have changed since I lived there...Women were not treated very well, IMHO.

Eh? Confused
Are you also alleging female teachers particularly endure bad treatment from ICEAT as well?
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just referring, in general, to the hardships that females endure in KSA. I have no specifics on icy-hot. One of the main reasons for leaving when I did was due to not wanting my wife to continue to put up with the sh#te that she had to on a daily basis.
As I have mentioned many times....life in KSA is a hardship....that's one of the reasons salaries were higher. Now that the economy can no longer support it, lower salaries will make it harder to justify putting up with it.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue is "What will I do after a spell in Saudi Arabia ?". It does not enhance your CV. Cynics might say that it can render you unemployable.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
One issue is "What will I do after a spell in Saudi Arabia ?". It does not enhance your CV. Cynics might say that it can render you unemployable.

That's a good question for When the "well runs dry"... What's next?
lizzydizzy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend, who left, says that there's hard work and that the men and women live together. They only ask for copies of certificates, so there are no real academic checks, and everyone goes to Bahrain at least one weekend each month. Furthermore, the salaries seem low, but with no background checks, what do they expect? Add these comments to recent posts about this time not enhancing one's CV.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Live together Reply with quote

lizzydizzy wrote:
A friend, who left, says that there's hard work and that the men and women live together. They only ask for copies of certificates, so there are no real academic checks, and everyone goes to Bahrain at least one weekend each month. Furthermore, the salaries seem low, but with no background checks, what do they expect? Add these comments to recent posts about this time not enhancing one's CV.

Interesting information from "a friend". I wonder where men and women live together. Yes, man and wife could live together, but it is not that easy for a female to sponsor a husband, much least her own children, in KSA. "Everyone goes to Bahrain at least one weekend each month"? I went there once for visa matters. I suppose that IF a person must have a drink, then that would be the place to go. I have to admit that the bar scene is pretty scary.

Unless things have changed radically, I would expect that KSA is still a depressing place for a single woman. The beaches and the health clubs MIGHT have restricted hours for women, but don't expect those to be for working women. Those hours will be for the women of leisure of KSA.

Any woman who can enjoy a life of reading, writing and in home exercising could POSSIBLY find KSA fulfilling. If you enjoy exploring, walking back alleys for color and meeting the locals, KSA is probably not the place for you as a single "western" woman. Sorry, but it takes years to "walk like a local" in the abaya. The way you walk and struggle with Arabic and the sliding shayla will mark you as a foreigner and a potential "friend", so expect unwelcomed, unsolicited and impromptu "date" requests from any guy on the street. The attitude is that you are western and therefore, you have asked for it. Well, perhaps that you are western and therefore, there is a 50/50 chance. "Me, too" has not arrived in KSA.
Makkah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
scot47 wrote:

That's a good question for When the "well runs dry"... What's next?

Such research is dedication or ...er....um....something else
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizzydizzy wrote:
They only ask for copies of certificates, so there are no real academic checks.

It sounds like teachers are brought into KSA on biz or work visit visas.
lizzydizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe whatever you choose to believe, but bear in mind that my friend is a man, and not a woman.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Individual postings that exceed 300 words will be removed from the public board.
Continuing with such postings will result in severe sanctions.
This policy applies to all forums on this board
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: