Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching EFL in a changing country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbeCross

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Teaching EFL in a changing country Reply with quote

In my workplace, there is growing unease with the current economic situation in the country. Some teachers have even spoken of relocating to another country.
Virtually all of them have been heavily affected by the tax on dependents. And there is unease about the VAT in 2018 and other-as yet unknown-steps the government may take as the economy continues to languish.
Have other teacher here seen similar trends? How have the changes affected recruitment, working conditions, salaries and morale at your workplaces?
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching EFL in a changing country Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
In my workplace, there is growing unease with the current economic situation in the country. Some teachers have even spoken of relocating to another country.
Virtually all of them have been heavily affected by the tax on dependents. And there is unease about the VAT in 2018 and other-as yet unknown-steps the government may take as the economy continues to languish.
Have other teacher here seen similar trends? How have the changes affected recruitment, working conditions, salaries and morale at your workplaces?

Folks are buying less; they are postponing vacations. Even those who are leaving can barely give their household goods away. Nobody knows if there will be a job for them them next year.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching EFL in a changing country Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
Folks are buying less; they are postponing vacations. Even those who are leaving can barely give their household goods away. Nobody knows if there will be a job for them them next year.

But if they have a job next year they're giving up vacations for what, exactly?
Makkah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Growing unease". Totally lovin that.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching EFL in a changing country Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:

But if they have a job next year they're giving up vacations for what, exactly?

Because their contracts are up for renewal, and the new contracts are getting more and more skimpy or they might not get renewed. When I said "postponing vacations", I meant holiday trips, so instead of doing that safari to Africa or diving in Sharm esh Sheikh, it might be a trip home to see family during one's free time.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching EFL in a changing country Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
Because their contracts are up for renewal, and the new contracts are getting more and more skimpy or they might not get renewed. When I said "postponing vacations", I meant holiday trips, so instead of doing that safari to Africa or diving in Sharm esh Sheikh, it might be a trip home to see family during one's free time.

So they're not being recklessly extravagant? Hardly a hardship, lots of people never go on African safaris or diving holidays. Even going home is too expensive for my tastes (and the weather sucks this time of year). I'd rather have a trip to a cheap country and a simple holiday. I'll leave the five star resorts and exotic locations for people who don't understand the tenuousness of this role, and I can always afford a budget airline to a developing country and cheap hotel - regardless of whether my contract is renewed or not. I might have a blowout once in a while, delaying gratification has its own reward, so I think "good for them" in not being profligate all of the time. I'll never be a member of the 500 Club, living here is difficult enough, but the rewards I 'deserve' are not living like a millionaire on a teacher's salary. Is the future me going to thank my present self for spending all of his spare cash, on something which results in a few good memories and photos? No, he'll want to kick me in the nuts.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his own. The forum started with this inquiry:
Quote:

I would say that lifestyles have changed. People are spending less and generally are more frugal. This may very well include cutting back on holiday trips and frequency.

My "future self" has hit retirement age for the Gulf, and I agree with you. I'm glad that I made investments in profitable ventures rather than on junkets to five star resorts. Those assets can keep working for me in my golden years. I'm glad to have good memories of lovely exotic and off the beaten path destinations.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:

Change is inevitable. A change in political climate, economic trends, and societal needs. This is a wake-up call to expats that they're guest workers and nothing more. TEFL is no longer a long-term career choice for foreigners without citizenship regardless of the country. Plus, working abroad has its limitations. For example, unlike living on home soil, you can't simply find work in another field in KSA.
hash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also lose decades and decades of accrued “benefits” such as social security, medicare/medicaid, possible pensions, 401Ks and so on by working overseas (for a non-US entity) as a career.

The eventual collapse of the SS system has been widely and wildly exaggerated by those 40 and under.

Nearly 80 years to the day when Ida May Fuller received her first and THE first SS check for $22.54 (January 31, 1940), the SS system remains the bedrock of “retirement” for tens of millions of the elderly in the US. It may need some adjustments, but it’s not going anywhere anytime soon.

==================================

If this sort of thing is important to you (and it should be), be aware that very few entities in KSA offer SS covered employment anymore. I believe Vinnell does as well as the other US military based jobs. But that's about it.

(Saudi Aramco doesn't, as far as I know, since it is not a US entity. Even if you're a "direct hire", you're getting hired by a KSA company, not a USA one.)

To get your wages covered by SS, you'd have to get hired by Aramco Services Company out of Houston (the original Aramco), and that is not going to happen, not to an ESL teacher. You might get INTERVIEWED in Houston for an ESL job in KSA as happened last year if you recall.....But Aramco-Houston was just providing the venue....the location for the interviews......you were not getting hired by the Houston company.....you were getting hired by a slew of KSA contractors...some of who made it quite clear they were not going to pay for your trip to Houston (red flag #1)

scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK nationals and residents may have the option of paying National Insurance and thus accruing entitlement to Pension. I did that and am now living as a pensioner

I am not sure what options are open to Irish, Canadian, Australian or New Zealand citizens. can they continue to pay into their home country Social insurance when working in Arabee or elsewhre ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: