Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-sessional courses don’t help weaker students

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Pre-sessional courses don’t help weaker students Reply with quote

High Ielts score beats ability in quest for academic results

Pre-sessional courses don’t boost academic results for weaker test performers, study finds.

Why do international students do worse than their native-speaker counterparts academically?

Figures from the Higher Education Statistics Agency have shown that they gain proportionately fewer first and upper second-class degrees than UK home students.

And now, a UK study has found that while the Ielts scores students obtain before they arrive at university are a good predictor of academic results, attending a pre-sessional course has no significant effect on the outcomes of students with lower Ielts scores on entry.

http://digital.elgazette.com/june-2018/research-news-high-ielts-score-beats-ability-in-quest-for-academic-results.html
kev20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IELTS requirements for most British universities show a lack of integrity within the third level education system. Students coming with 7.0 simply won't be able to keep up at undergraduate level and many of them are actually arriving at graduate level. 8.0 should be the minimum if they were actually concerned about the quality of the students attending their institutions, with a minimum of 7.0 for pre-sessional courses. There is definitely a disparatity in the English proficieny of students who get 7.0 with the level a 7.0 should actually be.

I do think (even though they are designed to make money) pre-sessional courses have a huge benefit if taken seriously, but I fear they're mostly used to get a foot in the door, get a visa, and then students and universities will figure out a way to move those students into full courses.
Stuka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kev20 wrote:
The IELTS requirements for most British universities show a lack of integrity within the third level education system. Students coming with 7.0 simply won't be able to keep up at undergraduate level and many of them are actually arriving at graduate level. 8.0 should be the minimum if they were actually concerned about the quality of the students attending their institutions, with a minimum of 7.0 for pre-sessional courses. There is definitely a disparatity in the English proficieny of students who get 7.0 with the level a 7.0 should actually be.

I do think (even though they are designed to make money) pre-sessional courses have a huge benefit if taken seriously, but I fear they're mostly used to get a foot in the door, get a visa, and then students and universities will figure out a way to move those students into full courses.

Presessional courses are a racket. They are, as you say, merely a way of bypassing the difficult IELTS test and getting students into universities and then onto expensive inhouse courses. When I went to university I struggled with the input and I'm a native speaker. At some universities in London, the requirement to get onto a presessional is an IELTS 4.0. This is way too low and it is obvious what is going on here. If I had my way, I'd want international students to have native-speaker fluency, ie, an IELTS 9.0, when enrolling on a degree course at an English-speaking university. However, if this requirement was made mandatory, then we'd lose all the Chinese and our universities would go bankrupt.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the result, but not the reason. I've found a lack of study skills to be a far bigger issue than language. I worked at UCL (admittedly some years ago now) and many of the home students would have struggled to get 7 on IELTS. I was running what were essentially remedial English classes for home students with straight A* at A-Level.

Overseas students with a (genuine) solid academic background and good study skills wiped the floor with them even if their language level was low. If they had good English but little else they had a fighting chance. If they had neither, they just drowned.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native-speaker students can have very low levels of competence, and poor levels of General Knowledge. I thank Our Maker that i have retired and no longer have to deal with these insurmountable problems.

I return to My Circles. "Noli tangere circulos meos !"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: